ghost shots in bright light

-faith-

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
can any one help me...
i keep trying to take ghost shots in the day time or in early evening but because there is still alot of light about the images come out a to bright to notace anything.
can anyone advice me on how to tack these images with out this happening?
all thanks

What do you mean by ghost shots? Do you mean holding the shutter open for a long time, to get a moving effect of something? If so, then you need very low light, and small aperture. Indoors at night should work, with most (or all) of the lights turned off.

Lowest ISO, and highest aperature. If that is still too fast for you to get ghosty shots you will need a ND (Neutral Density) Filter. They come in a stop rating. a 3 ND filter will reduce your shutter speed by 3 stops. They come in different numbers. A friend of mine uses a 3 stop ND filter to take photographs of lightning during the day.

you could always put the camera on a tripod and take the image. Get the subject (The "Ghost") to move away, and re-shoot the image without moving the camera.
You should then be able to blend together the two images in PhotoShop/Elements or whatever editing software you use...If necessary you could also before blending the two images together, add Gaussian blur to the "Ghost" to make it softer, or even Speed blur to make it look as though it has moved.
Another way would be to use a long exposure, with a light burst of flash. (Slow sync flash)

you could always put the camera on a tripod and take the image. Get the subject (The "Ghost") to move away, and re-shoot the image without moving the camera.
You should then be able to blend together the two images in PhotoShop/Elements or whatever editing software you use...If necessary you could also before blending the two images together, add Gaussian blur to the "Ghost" to make it softer, or even Speed blur to make it look as though it has moved.

this is the best way to do it IMO, or you could buy some ND filters to slow your shutter down, but then your subject has to stand perfectly still to have no blur.

The photoshop way allows you to use any shutter speed, and aperture, and any ISO. all you need is a tripod.

Most reactions

Back