Gibbon

MG TF 135

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
During a weekend in Lisbon we managed to go to the cities zoo. The zoo itself looks like its being seroiusly redeveloped and to be honest it needs it. The areas that the primates were housed in has been finished though.

Anyone that has tried to photograph animals in a zoo will be aware of the difficulties with bars and glass. But the new areas with the primates were basically islands with moats around them, so no bars or glass were needed. A photographers dream.

Any way, i have lots of pictures, but here are my fave two of a Gibbon i watched for a good hour.

IMG_4151resize.jpg

IMG_4145bwresize.jpg

Comments always welcomed. I really love taking animal photo's so any tips are gratefully received.

Thanks

I like them both, I don't know but I wonder how the second would look like in color. I like the expression in his eyes in the second. Nice colors in the first especially with the blue sky! Nice job!

The two photos look proper. #2 actually held my attention for a while. For a portrait, even for that of animals, an authentic expression greatly helps. I think your one-hour observation effort even shows up in your pictures.

Tsienni is already saying what I was thinking right away when I read that you watched that gibbon for so long: giving him and yourself time surely paid off and does certainly show in your two photos here! Often I am forced to take my photos "in passing", mostly so when away with the family, so I rarely have the time to sit, watch, plan and compose. You gave yourself that time and got two really good photos. I find the b&w one intriguing. On the one hand it makes me wonder what it might have been like in colour, on the other hand I can well live without the knowledge. Very good example of the one step towards "abstract" that is given by b&w photography.

Most reactions

Back