Gift for daughter

Eazyduzzit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My daughter is 16 and the other day she asked me to get her a camera for Christmas. When I asked what kind, she just said she wanted one like mine where you can change the lenses (SLR). Knowing her, this is probably just a passing fancy. Last year it was a guitar.

My question is what kind of camera could I get her for $300 or less that is a decent camera and maybe comes with a lens. I have a Pentax PZ-10, and if I get her something compatible I wouldn't mind sharing lenses with her. If I sound ignorant here, it's because I am.

Go for a Canon Rebel. I have one and they are great camera's. Sharing lenses isn't a great thing. Especially for a young girl how may have a passing fancy who doesn't care about putting the end caps on the lenses. Have a damaged lens is no fun! Besides, the Rebel uses the same system as their higher up models. So if it isnt' a passing fancy she could move up Canon's line and still use her older equipment.

-Jeremy-

If you already have some Pentax lenses, then stick with Pentax. Sharing lenses is a great idea.

Pentax makes several cameras under $300. There is the ZX-M, which is manual focus and several AF models. All can use any K-mount lens (clear back to the early 70s). All will be able to be run on full auto-exposure, semi-auto, and full manual exposure.

When it comes to deciding on one brand or another, there is very little difference between entry level cameras. Until you get up into the multi-thousand dollar models they will all pretty much have the same features, and be of the same quality. Canon does have more lenses available, but Pentax or any other brand has almost as many (which is more than you'll ever buy anyway). Pentax cameras, lenses, and accessories tend to cost a little less than Canon, Nikon, or Minolta.

Check the Minolta Maxxum 3 or 4 unless you want to spend closer to 3 bills, then the above are good choices. You will have to decide how serious she is about it and buy accordingly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back