Gift ideas for my dad

Palto Alto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My dad (perhaps as a sign of a midlife crisis) has gotten interested in photography. I asked him what he would be interested in getting this Christmas and he said that any book on photography/cameras would do very well.

Now, he's hardly the professional National Geographic-type but he's not a total nymphette. He's been studying shutter-speed and whatnot and has probably a first-term student's understanding of the art and mechanics of photography.

What I would love to know is what is the perfect book for comprehending the art and mechanics of the camera (still camera, preferrably). Something that isn't too complex but doesn't spoon-feed and something that covers more things that your average photography magazine would not be too shabby.

Yeah, we all hate those members who join a forum just to ask a single question but it's for my dad honestly, where's your Christmas spirit?:hug::

Thanks ahead of time!

hmm how do you mean by the mechanics - as in building your own camera?
Or do you mean the basics of getting a proper exposure and using the camera?

If it is the former I can't help - if the latter I would suggest Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson - a great book that deals with how ISO, shutter speed and aperture relate to each other and also how to use them in a creative manner to shoot with. Not to complex nor to simple and does have a focus on traditional shooting

I've found that in these kinds of cases, the best chance of getting them the perfect gift is to let them choose it themselves.

Take him to a book store, get him a coffee, tea or whatever he likes to drink, walk over to the photography section and let him peruse to his satisfaction. Let him pick anything he likes and you take care of the rest.

Barring that, I have a couple of backup suggestions:

- The Moment It Clicks - Joe McNally
- Understanding Exposure - Bryon Peterson
- If his camera is on the list of what Thom Hogan supports, consider getting it, his books are the BEST sources of info on the internet (visit www.bythom.com to check)

Not knowing what area of photography your father likes it is like asking us to select a book on sports without you even telling us what sports he prefers.

Hehe, sorry. I just said "mechanics" for a total lack of better words as I just meant how the camera works, not how it's made.

Um, thanks for the recommendations. He's really the traditional kind so taking him to the store and letting him choose for himself would probably not be his thing; he likes to have stuff to open on Xmas morning. As for what kind of photography he enjoys, I honestly have no clue. He just fantasizes over the newest and sharpest digital cameras, the zoomiest lens and whatnot. I suppose he likes detail? Honestly, my knowledge of his preferences are super slim and I would rather not ask for more info because that would ruin the surprise (it's fun to take advantagre of his short forgettfulness, as he won't even remember himself telling me what present we would like). So all in all, I would say he likes just snapping the greatest possible moments on family trips, outings, etc.

I guess this Understanding Exposure would be best but if anyone else has any ideas, be my guess.

Spanks for everything! :thumbup:

The books are not that expensive... get him at least the two first ones, they will keep him going info-wise and inspiration-wise for sure.

For anything else, I suggest that you find out more about his needs, likes and tastes before delving further.

I've found that in these kinds of cases, the best chance of getting them the perfect gift is to let them choose it themselves.

Take him to a book store, get him a coffee, tea or whatever he likes to drink, walk over to the photography section and let him peruse to his satisfaction. Let him pick anything he likes and you take care of the rest.

Barring that, I have a couple of backup suggestions:

- The Moment It Clicks - Joe McNally
- Understanding Exposure - Bryon Peterson
- If his camera is on the list of what Thom Hogan supports, consider getting it, his books are the BEST sources of info on the internet (visit www.bythom.com to check)

Not knowing what area of photography your father likes it is like asking us to select a book on sports without you even telling us what sports he prefers.

+1 for Understanding Exposure. This is an easy read that really helps understand what all goes into an exposure.

Understanding Exposure - Bryon Peterson

I think anyone who has read this book would promote it as a good beginner's tool.

Most reactions

Back