Gig Photography

it doesnt need anything silly like the 10x zoom my Finepix has, just a bittt

For less than 400 you could get an 85mm f /1.8 and it will give you a little more space between your subjects.

The 100mm f/2.0 is under 400 and again more distance.

Get the 50mm though. its one of those why not have it kind of things.

so like the kit lens and the 50mm? or my current 35mm-80mm and the 50mm?

so like the kit lens and the 50mm? or my current 35mm-80mm and the 50mm?

I gotta read this thread again since i'm not really sure what that question means.

the 50mm is great lense for pretty close shots especially on a cropped body

if you're going to be far from stage you'd want at least 85-100mm in the prime department. Prime department because of your budget. Did you mention a budget?

what are the specs of your 35-80mm lense?

its a very old lens.

1:4-5.6 Power Zoom

EF 35-80mm

i have £400 for everyhting including body

Ok been lookin around,

350D is the body i think i am going for,

£180 without the kit lens,
£220 with kit lens,

£50 for a prime 50mm, 1.8
£80 for a sigma APO 70-300,

i also saw the 430EZ flash, now tis supposed to work, but with some restrictions with the 350D, anyone know what these restrictions are?

trying to decide whether to take the kit lens or not,
also whether the £40 battery grips are any good?
and if the 430EZ wud be a good flash, or wait a while and get the 430EX.

What restrictions did you hear the 430 has?

Battery grip is pretty cool. It not only adds more battery life but adds a more professional look to the camera.

i didnt know what restrictions it had at all,

it just advertised as it didnt work fully functionably with dSLR's as its designed for 35mm film.

i dont need any of the wireless abilities in a flash i just need something that i can bounce, mainly for use i clubs where theres ver low lighting i need domething big and brightttt

right, well whats yoiur advice on the whole thing,

as in kit or not? or which lenses?

I disagree HEAVILY with the guy who said concert photography looks much better shooting with available light.

It all depends. Its all about the right balance.

l_9644e500c96b3656351b40f52c710d82.jpg

I definately recommend having atleast 1 External Flash if youre doing concerts. I have 2 and they both come in VERY handy.

l_ca4a6fe2ae27b1e0a15d003c247bb295.jpg

Good luck with your concert photography. As far as photography goes, nothing improves your overall picture taking skills like live music will.

If you're getting the rebel I'd recommend getting the 50mm F/1.8. I can be around 25 feet away and achieve results I'm happy with.

I know that flash goes straight up but I don't think it swivels like the 580.

The 85 f/1.8 is a great lense to have but a bit more expensive than the 50.

ALSO, I find that the 50 mm lenses are too long for concert photos. Most of the time, youre locked in tight space. I think you definately need one, but I suggest going a bit wider for your first lens. Theres a great Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens for about 350 american dollars. Not sure how much that is in Euro.

thanks asfix and ruby,

ruby what flashes you use, equioment etc? any other advice would be lovely!

also, what would be the best lens in all ur opinions, to leave on alllt he time during a gig, say if i had to go in the crowd for one and cudnt switch,

one that cud get a little bit of zoom in, nothing massive,

just need the best general lens i can get

Most reactions

New Topics

Back