Gimbal Heads - What tripod to use them on?

mikoh4792

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at gimbal heads on amazon but they do not come with tripods. I'm wondering if there is a certain "type" of tripod to use them on. I won't be using really heavy lenses(probably 3-4lbs at the most).

Gimbals balance the camera and lens over the center of gravity on the tripod. That said, as long as the total weight of all is well supported by the tripod's weight rating, you're good to go.

Many tripods have a weight hook so weight can be added to the tripod to help steady the tripod when it is windy.

It is often recommended that the rated weight capacity of the tripod be at least 2x more than the maximum weight you would ever need to mount on the tripod. The closer the actual weight mounted is to the rated weight capacity of the tripod the less stable the tripod will be. That's why at least 2x more capacity is recommended. 3x more is even better. Don't forget to include the weight of the gimbal head when you total up how much weight you expect to mount on the tripod.

The fewer leg sections the more stable a tripod will be, but having fewer leg sections the tripod will not collapse to a small size amenable to traveling by air or rail.
Aluminum tripods generally cost less and weight a bit more than carbon fiber tripods. Carbon fiber tripods, being lighter, are somewhat less stable in wind than heavier wood or aluminum tripods.

Unlike a 3-way pan head or a ballhead, a gimbaled head allows the camera lens to be moved smoothly in 3 axis at the same time.
Like tripods, tripod heads also have maximum weight ratings.

When considering a tripod purchase you can only get 2 of the following 3 attributes:
• Light weight
• Inexpensive
• Stable.

A inexpensive and light weight tripod isn't likely to be stable, but an expensive light weight tripod can also be stable.
An inexpensive but stable tripod is not likely to also be lightweight.
Etc.

I'm looking at gimbal heads on amazon but they do not come with tripods. I'm wondering if there is a certain "type" of tripod to use them on. I won't be using really heavy lenses(probably 3-4lbs at the most).
Check the thread size of both the gimbal and the tripod.

One or the other or both will be either 3/8" x 16 or 1/4" x 20. If they don't match, you will need to adapt one of them to the other thread size.

Is there a standard tripod mount - Photography Stack Exchange

Thanks for the replies

Most reactions

New Topics

Back