GIMP Guidance

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by AussieFreelancer, Aug 29, 2006.

1. AussieFreelancer

AussieFreelancer TPF Noob!

Hello people!

I took this pic today, which I quite like, but the top of the galah's head and its back have lost all detail as they were too bright. Does anyone know if it is possible to make this any better? I only have GIMP on this computer, but if someone knows how to do it in Photoshop, I can use my parents computer next time I visit them....

Many Thanks

Patrick

[​IMG]

2. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    Hi "AussieFreelancer" I'm afraid the top of the birds head is too washed out to be able to do anything with it. Unless there is some detail there, you are up the creek without a paddle. That is one of the problems with digital imaging.

www.philipweirphotography.com

3. AussieFreelancer

AussieFreelancer TPF Noob!

thanks Philip, thought that might be the case. I had a look on the GIMP tutorials, and found something called a contrast mask. I went through that tutorial, and it fixed a bit of the bird, but I came to the same conclusion, that it was too washed out... ahh well, thanks for taking a look :)

Patrick

4. Tiberius

Tiberius TPF Noob!

In general with digital, you can do stuff with underexposed areas, but blown highlights are gone forever. When shooting, do anything you can to avoid highlights within reason.