Ginormous panorama of San Francisco at night

chakalakasp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bigstormpicture.com
Click the image below for the web-res version (which is waaaay too large to display here):

In the thumbnail above, the little red box that the arrow is pointing to is the detail area blown up below (not quite at 100%):

M5mL4.jpg

The original image is around 36,000 pixels wide. This was shot with a 50D and took around 40 individual photos, stitched together with Photoshop CS5 beta. It was shot tripoded with a cable release and mirror lockup. The vantage point is Twin Peaks.

That's really awesome!

I did an 85 image pan of downtown charlotte and I could see the leaves inside buildings which were about 1/2 mile away. I was at 135mm and f/11. That took a LONG time to do. My vantage point was on top of a hotel roof!

~Michael~

Amazing - I hope you're going to print that out LARGE and hang it somewhere - it's just too big to appreciate on a computer monitor. You could totally sell a big print of that for good money, heck I'd even buy it if I had some kind of affinity with the city.

This is pretty awesome! I like how you can even see the UC Berkeley's campanile.

One question comes to mind though, why did you not kept to the left? I'm sure Alcatraz and the Golden Gate would have been great additions to the panorama. Was something blocking the way?

This is pretty awesome! I like how you can even see the UC Berkeley's campanile.

One question comes to mind though, why did you not kept to the left? I'm sure Alcatraz and the Golden Gate would have been great additions to the panorama. Was something blocking the way?

Yeah, from twin peaks it's hard to ge Alcatraz. The other problem was that the haze that day made seeing Alcatraz or Golden Gate very difficult - though if one went back on a clear day, they'd make nice additions to a pano. I have a wider version that I shot during the day, but even with that one, I didn't pan that far west.

I just jaw dropped in class. This is just amazing. There are things that make me glad I have taken up photography--this is one of those reasons.

Awesome, fantastic work! I would love to try some night panos sometime. Any tutorials or books you recommend?

Wow! That is beautiful! Panoramic shots is the next thing I will be learning, and this is the kind of work that inspires. Great job!

Awesome!!! What lens did you use?

Most reactions

Back