girl I captured at the bar

EnterUserName

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
_Removed_

I thought the picture had potential and was not aware of any unethical behavior on my part though now I guess I should

if I was the person with her, you might have felt that bottle on you head after taking that shot :p

And I think that images is not very charming ;)

It would be against my own ethics to take a photo of an unknown person in a bar (and one like this to boot) and place it in the internet without getting a proper release from said person. Plus our German regulations speak against it, although a bar is a public place (it is different from the States, I know that by now!) - taking the photo is one thing. Showing it is another. If I were her and were to find myself on here, I'd be more than "pretty miffed".

I have to agree with LaFoto, this also crosses my line of ethical behavior and responsibility...posting shots of people without prior consent seems very wrong to me.

One exception to that rule though that I would make is sports and photojourno shots.

(Plus I see no value in this shot other that a snap of a girl in a bar??)

Regards,
Peter Witham

LaFoto said:
It would be against my own ethics to take a photo of an unknown person in a bar (and one like this to boot) and place it in the internet without getting a proper release from said person. Plus our German regulations speak against it, although a bar is a public place (it is different from the States, I know that by now!) - taking the photo is one thing. Showing it is another. If I were her and were to find myself on here, I'd be more than "pretty miffed".

In Canada the privacy laws are very strict, I know in Quebec it is not allowed to photograph without permission for public display - this is one of the reasons I photograph buildings and animals although I would love to shoot (photograph) street people (homeless or otherwise)

The picture has been removed and the curiosity is driving me crazy.

But regarding laws and taking pictures...
I took some of my boyfriend and brother playing pool once. The only people in the bar were family and friends and 4 total strangers in a far dark corner.
The bar tender threatened to take my camera away and said I could not take pictures in there because I might take one of people who dont want to be photographed. My dad said 'ITS HER DAMN BROTHER'.

Anyways, some bars have strict rules and those rules are usually only applied when they bartenders have time to. When it's packed it's a free for all for anyone with a camera (makes me so mad. if you're gonna give one person crap... give them all crap).

Either way, yes it's illegal to take pictures in bars and post pictures of people who have not given you written consent.

... But my curiosity is still driving me nuts...

neea said:
The picture has been removed and the curiosity is driving me crazy.

But regarding laws and taking pictures...
I took some of my boyfriend and brother playing pool once. The only people in the bar were family and friends and 4 total strangers in a far dark corner.
The bar tender threatened to take my camera away and said I could not take pictures in there because I might take one of people who dont want to be photographed. My dad said 'ITS HER DAMN BROTHER'.

Anyways, some bars have strict rules and those rules are usually only applied when they bartenders have time to. When it's packed it's a free for all for anyone with a camera (makes me so mad. if you're gonna give one person crap... give them all crap).

Either way, yes it's illegal to take pictures in bars and post pictures of people who have not given you written consent.

... But my curiosity is still driving me nuts...

I dont think that law applies in the U.S.A. but either way its gone now

I'm going to be the Devil's advocate here, but I didn't think there was anything wrong with the picture. It was just a regular snapshot of two people dancing, not an "upskirt" or anything sinister like that.

The bar is a public place so I don't imagine any sort of privacy law applies.

Most reactions

Back