Girl in Black

Rod-UK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My youngest son's daughter aged 10

Is there enough atmosphere in this photo ?

Ella-in-Black.jpg

Gorgeous!
If you look side on, on an LCD screen you can really see those yellow spots... there's also blue, purple, green and pink!

I'd do a major crop on this.. hope it's high Megapixel. The right edge is distracting in my personal view. To get a decent shape therefore, you need to trim the bottom and a bit off the top. Apart from a crappy crop (soz to be harsh), it's a damn fine photo with lots of atmosphere.

It was origionally scanned from a 6 x 4ins colour print and the changed to b/w in p/s
which may account for the colour spot you can see

As is often the case, cropping is a personal choice. It looks quite good printed on an A4 sheet.

Thanks for the comments

What is in that big white space on the right? Is there any detail there at all. If you converted it to B&W in PS maybe you could bring out some more detail there... but just a little. Just an idea, it might look like crap.

Meysha said:
What is in that big white space on the right? Is there any detail there at all. If you converted it to B&W in PS maybe you could bring out some more detail there... but just a little. Just an idea, it might look like crap.

It is just a rough plastered wall done in white. I removed some of the detail so as to create the effect from light to dark.

Which is the reason for crop done as it is. You either like it or not. Your choice.

walter23 said:
Haha! You tell 'em!

cheers

Is it OK to justify one's decisions on how to crop a photo. Since the basic idea of the forum is to invite comments.

thebeginning said:
haha. you rock man.

really like this shot. the bw isnt really bw though...how did you do it?

Good question.

The origional was scanned from a 6 x 4cm coloured print, then changed to b/w in PS. This one was scanned and saved in colour mode from a b/w A4 print. Hence the suggestion of colour in the result

And to answer a previous critique. I did hard crop the origional pic as suggested, the picture lost all its atmosphere, and I wouldn't have posted it.

Excelent
What I like the most is the lack of detail in the middle tons because it gives to the picture a more dramatic look.
I don't agree with Meysha because if you have more details in the illuminated zone you would rui the contraste and Rod's daughter wouldn't be so detached as it is.
(sorry for my English ... it's not very good)

oozing atmosphere, very cute young lady! very photogenic, i have a daughter the same age, she too likes the camera.

My grand-daughter Ella Mae says to say 'Thank You All' for your nice comments

Most reactions

Back