Girl with dog portrait C&C

Noxire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Decided to brake the rules and make the portrait horizontally oriented, thoughts about that?
First portrait ever, i want to improve so please be harsh

Thank you for taking your time and writing a constructive response.

A_girl_and_her_dog____by_Noxire.jpg

cute girl, cute dog, I like the composition. I personally have never had an issue with a landscape oriented portrait. (sounds funny doesn't it) But what you did very well here is fill the frame with interesting material. Your subjects fill the frame nicely as does an interesting background, so great job on that.

Your colors are off. Its just a tad too cool for my taste. The whites look nicely exposed but the floating head effect coming from the girls jacket is odd. How to fix this? Fill flash. Plus, then you could have exposed better for that beautiful background and gotten a proper exposure for your main subjects.

And no matter what this wouldn't normally be considered a portrait I guess, just cause its kind of candid, ya know? Like her hair is all messy and the dog is all snowy, of course, I actually love both of these aspects of the photo.

Overall good photo! i like it.

Oh, and to learn some more about off camera flash, check out strobist.com and go through the tutorials.

You could have cropped into the top of her head and take the sky completely out, make it even more of a pano.
Looks like you took it dark and then increased the exposure (splotchy face), then the teeth were whitened (too much).
The basic pano composition of the photo is very nice (crop the sky out).
Next time take it with a bit of flash or just let the back ground go to get a proper exposure on her face.
Keep shooting!

Thank you for taking the time to write a reply [the medicin], [Shockey]
And thanks for all the tips, I have a couple of external-flash-units, but i would never have thought of using them in this kind of a situation, so big thanks for that ^^

And yes [Shockey], some of the moment got lost in pp, as her face was hopelessly darkly exposed I boosted exposure as much as i could.

Ty both

Johannes

Last edited:
If you had taken a step or three to your right, the tree would not be growing out of her head, the featureless sun would have nicely backlit your subjects and you would have had the benefit of natural framing by the two trees in the background. Looking at the dog's muzzle, I believe you have overexposed the shot, but your camera may have been metering on the darker subjects. Yes, a small pop of fill flash would give her back some detail in her clothing and aided in the overall exposure..

Not critique really. but i love this pic. the dog covered in snow is great. my puppy gets the same way but would never stay still for a good shot.

Thank you kundalini, I'll try to think more of composition next time.

Most reactions

Back