Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
p771840067-5.jpg

What a kick ass shot Lew. The lighting is superb. First impression was that of the old master painters. What a great job.

Wow! I know the technicals are there, but what gets me Is the emotion on her face! What IS she reading?!

What a kick ass shot Lew. The lighting is superb. First impression was that of the old master painters. What a great job.

Nice shot Lew, I'm digging the contrasts and almost Rembrant light.

Thank you both; I was hoping that would be the response although, tbh, I didn't have much confidence that my editing would be obvious enough, hence the title.

Wow! I know the technicals are there, but what gets me Is the emotion on her face! What IS she reading?!

I have no idea.
I was sitting at my favorite table at Red Emmas Bookstore and Cafe in Baltimore and people watching this AM.
She was totally engrossed with lots of different expressions.
It wasn't Skype because she didn't seem to talk in the 30 minutes I was sitting there and and I didn't want to know any more so I didn't talk to her.

On about half of the Saturday mornings, I go to a bookstore in Baltimore and then to Red Emma's for coffee and bagel and people watching.

Welcome to Red Emma's.
We're a radical {bookstore} and a vegetarian {restaurant} and a {coffee} roaster and a space for public {events}.
We are a worker cooperative and family of projects dedicated to autonomy, sustainability, participatory democracy, and solidarity.

what lovely light.

I have no idea.
I was sitting at my favorite table at Red Emmas Bookstore and Cafe in Baltimore and people watching this AM.
She was totally engrossed with lots of different expressions.
It wasn't Skype because she didn't seem to talk in the 30 minutes I was sitting there and and I didn't want to know any more so I didn't talk to her.

On about half of the Saturday mornings, I go to a bookstore in Baltimore and then to Red Emma's for coffee and bagel and people watching.

Welcome to Red Emma's.
We're a radical {bookstore} and a vegetarian {restaurant} and a {coffee} roaster and a space for public {events}.
We are a worker cooperative and family of projects dedicated to autonomy, sustainability, participatory democracy, and solidarity.
I had wondered if this was the same location as the man reading the restruant book in another shot of yours! Guess I pay more attention than I think I do.:)

I go there 2 or 3 times a month, always on Saturday morning and sit at a high table, drinking coffee and, alternately, drinking coffee and playing with my camera.
Eventually I fade into background, people stop noticing, and then I snap a few pictures.

p665384167-5.jpg

p300644026-5.jpg

First, I had to "like" this just b/c of the freaking title...well done sir!

Second, light on that first photo is dreamy. I'd suggest one more post-production piece: remove the small piece of metal (maybe the sole of a shoe?) that is shining in the middle of the darkness under the table. It's a distraction.

Third, I actually like your last photo the best (not that the first one is chopped liver or anything--I love it). But the contrast in tone between the outside spectators and then the inside customers is just lovely stuff. Combine that with the backlighting...yum!

Lew, nice reference to the master. And the light is of the "old style", so the reference fits.

It's interesting that almost every person in that place has a laptop or tablet in front of them, and if they don't they have earbuds or other devices.

Just goes to show that classic lighting never goes out of style.

I like the light, soft focus thing going (is that caused from running a high iso too?). Not so sure on the subject it seems people waiting for others to walk in front of brick walls was kind of slammed here a few months back far as street photography and this is sort of sitting duck. It does look like you did a excellent processing job (not that I know chit about processing but it looks good to me)

Overall, real nice photo lew.

Most reactions

Back