Gitzo Tripod

gatterboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi!
i need to buy a tripod.
i shoot architecture's photo with a silvestri 6x9 camera.
is not too heavy but a need a solid tripod.
my choose is for a gitzo carbon, 'cause is light and solid.
i can't decide between a 1348 or 1327.
SUGGESTIONS?

Yes, forget carbon fiber. Heavy cameras need heavy tripods. Gitzo is a great brand but you don't want a light one.

I would think any tripod weighing between 5 and 10 lbs. should do just fine for a medium format camera that is used to place the camera no higher than eye level. I would recommend a tripod that has stays running from the central column to the legs because it adds stability. If it is going to be elevated significantly more than that, it should be a little heavier. The rest is an issue of preferences - ball heads adjust faster, pan heads adjust with more precision etc, etc. I'm not trying to choose a tripod for you. I'm just explaining that stability comes at a price and that price is weight. The ultra light tripods are for 35mm cameras and for hikers who are willing to give up stability in return for light weight. Commercial photography with medium format cameras doesn't really require light weight. You would be served better with more stability.

Long distance hikers use carbon and weight it down with whatever they can find on site.... for example... camera bag or some rocks.

but fmw is correct.. go with a heavy duty tripod if you can handle the weight.

I ve had a Manfrotto for about 15 years now and it is as good as the day I bought it. Any really good quality heavy tripod by a well known name should do, But Gitzo and Manfrotto must be the best in this sphere.
Drop into your shop with your camera and play with a few. You don't have to buy there and then. Just get a good feel for the pod, It will probably cost quite a bit so you want the right one from the start. If the shop won't let you have a good play, you will find the door exactly where you left it on your way in. And another camera shop just down the road..

Most reactions

Back