Give me something to retouch!

Try mimicking my edit in RGB or CMYK in 10 seconds or less and you'll see why.

It's not just about speed, it's about power. All I wanted to do was increase the skin tone, saturate the greens, and add density to the shadows. You'd have a very difficult time doing the first two simultaneously in RGB, and the second step would be impossible because I added shadow density without altering any of the colors, which is both possible and easy in Lab but not other color spaces.

slr2006editus1.jpg

looks a bit yellow

Perhaps. But I don't think overly so. On average there was a bout a 15-20% increase in yellow according to the CMYK info palette. It could always be toned down a little bit if necessary.

Less than ten seconds if you store the preset. I personally never touch the L channel but A/B curves are great for a fine tuned increase in saturation.

[EDIT]In this image I would probably mask off all but the face, feather a few pixels and simply bump the middle input level to about .7/.8.

1) Why store the preset? Different strokes for different...photos.

2) There's no reason not to adjust the L channel when appropriate. I felt the image needed more shadow density.

I did an edit of HARTMAN25's photo as well. Would you mind if I posted it? I'm a noob here and I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I love getting any practice that I can though and wouldn't mind the critique.

I find that I can preset many things based on my camera and eyeballing the picture. There's really no need to spend extra time on certain things unless they look awful, you're getting paid for it, or if the customer is not happy :D
I almost always mask off initially saturated colors like the red jacket which I did not include in my original estimate.
Now I'm not a photo guru by any means, but I am pretty handy in PS due to experience in texture creation for game level design and I spent a lot of time creating actions and presets to boost my production value.

The beauty of Lab is that you can make selective color changes without masking a lot of the time. And who cares if you spend a minute or two constructing a curve as opposed to selecting a preset? I'll echo again the idea that presets are in general a poor idea for retouching, though the photo of the kid wasn't really a retouch.

thank you it looks great

what do you want done with it?

Have her on top of a saber tooth tiger raiding Camelot with her scepter of jello!!!!!!!!

:)

Have her on top of a saber tooth tiger raiding Camelot with her scepter of jello!!!!!!!!

:)

Fine. But it'll take me a few days. I'm so not kidding. I never back down from a challenge. (except those two photos that were out of focus)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back