Give me your opinion

furion23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I want some opinions regarding my photos, i am a beginner in photography, and in need of some honest opinions coming from someone who has been in this field of work longer than me.
I found out that the type of photography i enjoy is close up/macro photography
The camera i am using is a fujifilm s5700, mostly i'm using it on the preset modes, rather than the Manual mode.

So, here are my pics:

Bee

25zp0rr.jpg

Butterfly

2zxp1qo.jpg

Pollen

335gxs0.jpg

I want an opinion on the photos, critiques are also welcome, so are other tips for improving my skills.

Thanks

Last edited:
Bee Photo: been done to death (search for bee, flower in Flickr), but yours is fine, too. Good dark green blurry background. Think about composition. You did not center the daisy, which is a good thing generally. It could be jogged a bit more away from the center, but I would put the extra space on the left side rather than the right (has something to do with the anticipated movement of the bee toward the left because of its position - giving more room on the left side allows the brain to accept the framing as genuine and natural). Had the daisy been completely symmetrical and the bee been perfectly centered, then a centered and symmetrical composition would have been acceptable.

Butterfly Photo: Nice contrast beteen the stark white petals and the deep orange of the butterfly! On the improvement side, the subject matter is too centered and there seems to be a lot going on with various lines (stems, leaves) moving in various directions. There is a lot of space given to the background which is a bit disharmonious. There is a bit of a natural frame created by some of the stems, but still too much going on for my personal taste.

Pollen Photo: I'm not really sure what's being shown here. It appears as though you used some sort of printed form to give a frame of reference, vis-a-vis the size of the pollen particles. That's a really good idea! However, there is no clue as to what the paper is, so the frame of reference becomes a moot point. As well, the lighting is dark - too dark to make it pop or to give the contrast required for texture and definition.

I hope this helps. You have some good ideas! Keep shooting, keep shooting in all different sorts of light and as your skills grow, consider moving on to landscapes, people and urban scenes, so that you can challenge your skills and photographic eye in a variety of genres and subjects!

@PhotoSteve

Thank you for your feedback, appreciate it.

What i understood and learned form your response is that i shouldn't capture the main subject in the center, and use somehow the rule of thirds??

regarding the first photo, i had a hard time snapping it because the bee kept moving.
And the third photo, the white surface the pollen is placed on is an envelope, and i used it just because i was outside and needed a solid surface to drop the pollen on and not for artistic purposes, however i see what you mean.

Waiting other opinions from other TPF members
thank you

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back