Giving a framed photo as a gift...do I sign it?

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm giving a family member an 11x14 matted and framed photo for Christmas.

I'm thinking of writing my name - very small, in pencil - on the edge of the mat.

But then I'm thinking that's a bit pretentious of me.

Opinions?

Jon

usually you write it on the back of the photo with your name, date, and title of work

On the back of the photo itself?

Or on the back of the mounting surface (where it can be seen if you flip the frame over)?

Back of the photo. Don't do it in pencil though. Permanent marker. Never trust anyone

~Michael~

It's not pretentious at all to sign and date the matte. Do it at the lower right just below the corner of the window cut out of the matte. On the back of print (or if you've mounted it to some sort of mounting board, on the back of the mounting material) name, date, title.

I know a guy who signs and dates the matte, does the name, date, title on the back of the print, then sprays the spray adhesive, mounts it on the mounting board, and then puts the name, date, title again on the back of the mounting board. That may be excessive, though.

If you are proud of the photo then sure sign it. I dont see a problem with that.

If I even gave a picture to my dad I would put my name on there. Personally, I would put it on the right lower corner and also on the back.

Some people put a copyright on the back with the name, date and some EXIF data.

A good reason to put this on there is what if you and your friend stopped talking or lost contact. What if someone saw this picture? Your name would be on there for reference or if someone wanted to contact you to do more photography work.

~Michael~

I don't see signing the matte as pretentious. No more than a painter signing their name at the bottom corner of a painting. It shows pride in your work. Nothing wrong with that.

Just don't go John Hancock on the matte and detract from the photo itself.

Alright, I'm going to write my name very small on the mat - just below the photo and on the right side - and put a label on the reverse side indicating name, date & title.

Should I write my name in pencil (more subtle, but less permanent) or ink (less subtle but more permanent)?

Jon

I believe you would want to get a special pen that won't damage the print. I could be wrong about the chemicals in a sharpie affecting the print over time though.

Sign it by all means. I am sure that the recipient will be very proud of it. Use permanent marker.

That is what I do...

Pencil on the front. My signature and date on the back with my business card attached via stamped candle wax.

I'm hearing of many people these days who wax seal their work... why? Just more classy or what?

Most reactions

Back