giving a portfolio a shot

Discussion in 'The Aspiring Professionals Forum' started by trexon, Jun 30, 2017.

1. trexon

trexon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I recently started working on a portfolio which I may use for an internship application. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Tim Samadov

2. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    What kind of internship are you hoping for?

3. trexon

trexon TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm hoping to get an internship at a studio or with a wedding photographer. I'll take any internship dealing with photography though.

4. Designer

Photos OK to edit
    O.K., then I have a suggestion for you: Try some formal portraits, and use lighting.

The collection of informal portraits you have now have very little to do with studio work, and not much to do with weddings. If you can show someone that you know something about lighting, it will go a long way to getting that internship.

Like it or not, a prospective employer will expect you to actually know something, and as nice as it might be to learn everything in your internship, employers are looking for a worker who can take simple direction, and do what is asked the first time.

Learn as much as you can about studio lighting so you can at least speak intelligently about it. You don't have to be a whiz, just know the names for the equipment and how it is used. Good luck!

Oh, BTW: don't be surprised if you don't actually shoot any photographs for a while.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. trexon

trexon TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't have access to a studio so I wouldn't really be able to do formal portraits. Thank you for the feedback though, I'll study up about lighting.

6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Pull the other one, it's got bells on! You're working [apparently] in New York City. There are probably thousands of 'rent by the hour' studio spaces you can get.

Designer is spot on with his points about studio work and lighting. Given how many people there are who want exactly what you're seeking, potential employers can afford to be VERY picky. If I were to hire someone as a general dog's body, and he couldn't understand "drop the key 1/3 stop and bring in a fill at 1 1/2 stops below key" he/she would be out the door.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    One suggestion would be to study some books on composition, and when to use a tall camera orientation versus a wide camera orientation. You are making one of the most-common mistakes in portraiture when you are framing up your shots; you are leaving too much headspace above the people, and are cropping them off in an awkward manner, at the wrist, or at the arm, etc. at the bottom edge of your compositions.

Your people in several examples are "riding low in the frame"...this is a very common tendency, and it is tricky with the 3:2 aspect ratio of so,so many modern cameras! The issue with the common, d-slr format aspect of 3:2 is that the frame's area is not very tall on a "wide" (the often-referred to landscape orientation) shot, and is very narrow on a 'tall" shot (the frequently referred to "portrait orientation").

Other than the framing issue, you seem to be doing pretty well on technicals and on expressions. Keep working on your craft, but study up on the art aspect as well. The craft part (exposure, focus, post-processing) is all fairly good so far, from what I saw in your work. You just need more elegant, more balanced composing methods.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. trexon

trexon TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah I'm from NYC, but I'm also 16. A typical studio usually costs from 100-200$ for an hour or two. As a teenager you're typically not able to afford such a commodity with your personal money (hence why I'm trying to get an internship at a studio.) But I will definitely study up on the photography jargon.

9. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, you're 16; that presupposes one is attending school, ergo, studio space galore.

10. trexon

trexon TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sadly, the last day of school was two days ago.

11. Designer

Photos OK to edit
    I mean no offense, but that is a very lame excuse. You don't need a $500,000 studio to make some formal portraits.

You do need some lighting, however, which you can rent. Rent two or three speedlights and some modifiers, and get busy.

At least you already have some models, so don't offer excuses, offer results instead.

12. tecboy

tecboy No longer a newbie, moving up!

San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
    Photos OK to edit

A studio can be your garage, your living room, your backyard, or anywhere outside. A proper lighting equipment will help. There are few cheaper alternatives.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017