Giving it a try.

Strawberry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, here goes. I am goma post this like it was sugggested..I didnt post in the critique thingy because I am too scared. Is this too "posed" and Olan Millsy ?

goodtry_022.JPG

sidesoften.JPG

Thank you, and please remember, I have little to no idea of what I am doing :)

Don't worry about your talent anymore :)

Let me leave the critical analysis to the pros here.

I don't see what you were concerned about! Nice work. I might suggest on these that you could have used a reflector to lighten the shadows on the babys face a little. Good Job! :)

Well, I was worried that I was too impressed with myself. Then I was worried that it was too pic in a box, like Kmart, etc. I put that scene together , so to speak, its not natural.
I knew I loved them but its hard not to love pics of your kids.
What would a reflector be, is it something you buy, or make? (yeah I know what it is in the strictest sense, but..you get me I hope)
I put 1.5 yards of white flannel on the end on my couch. The lighting is my living room lamps with the shades off and 100-150 watt bulbs in them,my camera's flash is broken, so I did that.
Thank you all so much for your help:)

Those are very good Strawberry :)

Most portrait shots are "put together". If you go to a studio, it's certainly not a natural scene. It's carefully controlled lighting and backgrounds. There's nothing wrong with it. It's the only way to get that certain look. As for a reflector, you can make yourself one easily. Got to JoAnn fabric, or Michaels, or any art supply store and buy a big piece (20x30) of white foamcore. You can use this alone to reflect light, or if you want to reflect more, cover it with tin foil.

Btw, are these film or digital?

You could also put the shades back on the lights and move them closer. The shadows give me a somber feeling, so if that's what you're going for, then you got it. It all depends on what you're trying to express. I like the b&w. I'd like to see the same kind of thing where you're even with his eyes.

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of soft images. That's just me.

Um, are we only supposed to talk like this in the critique forum? Either way, I think it's great. How do I know? I keep looking at it.

I think they are great...especially the first one. I was going to say "great use of window light" but it seems you managed to create some great lighting.

You got two of the important factors...the light is soft and it's directional.

A reflector can be anything reflective. It's used to bounce some of the light back onto the "dark" side of the subject. It's not something that is required but it often helps to light a model's face.

Great work...keep posting.

Thank you, thank you all for your time and comments :)!
The camera is a digital camera , its not a terribly good one, I paid like 30 dollars for it, the flash isnt exactly broke, just if you use it once it eats all the juice the batteries have.
I tried to go with a feeling of restfulness, innocence, ya know- babies.
I will get the stuff to make a reflector and practice on everything (Ha, my poor kids :lol: )

Um, are we only supposed to talk like this in the critique forum?
I thought if I posted here, you'd all go easier on me :wink:

I think you best decision was to keep the flash off. On camera flashes produce harsh, flat light...which usually doesn't look very good.

I think it's ok for light critiques here, but back off if the author says he/she isn't looking for critiques, obviously. Save the harsh critiques for the critique section. It's kinda hard to post something here and not get some opinions. I like this forum cuz it's good for getting some directional advice...like..just little tips to help enhance your skills and such.

I like both shots a lot. I like the shadow on the face on the top one - kinda makes sense to me cause that's how we really see things like sleeping babies (not all bright and lite up). Well done.

Most reactions

Back