Giving Smoke Art a try C&C welcome

KAikens318

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was surprised, for my first time trying this they didn't come out too badly. Still need to get less noise in the pics.

DSC_1772.jpg

DSC_1778.jpg

DSC_1779.jpg

DSC_1785.jpg

What tips do you guys have for me, I know there is an insane amount of noise, will have to turn down the ISO, but any other tips or tricks that you guys use to shoot smoke?

Here are some better ones :D

I have never seen smoke come out of the bottom of the incense...

DSC_1789.jpg

DSC_1811.jpg

DSC_1807.jpg

Here is my favorite one that I did:

I am posting it because I wanted to exhibit my tip, which is try to selectively color your photo so that it looks like something. Then it won't look like just colored smoke anymore, but maybe something entirely different, if you're lucky!

I am posting it because I wanted to exhibit my tip, which is try to selectively color your photo so that it looks like something. Then it won't look like just colored smoke anymore, but maybe something entirely different, if you're lucky!

That is awesome, I love it!!! I don't have near enough Photoshop know-how to do that! Lol.

just type it in on youtube, there are some excellent tutorials in there

Do you know where some tutorials to do this are? I have one that I really want to do different colors on (as seen below), but everything I tried hasn't worked so well. Thanks!

DSC_1869copy.jpg

just copy the layer several times, saturate different layers in different colors, and then mask them off. If you don't know how to do that stuff, then try to find basic photoshop tutorials.

cool shots. wat were u guys settings? lens?

I wanna try this out.

thanks!

cool shots. wat were u guys settings? lens?

I wanna try this out.

thanks!

I used my 50mm 1.8 lens, used the on board flash as well as a regular light bulb pointed on the smoke, ISO 100, shutter of 1/200 or so. I put the incense on a coffee table in front of a black velvet blanket.

Nice work all.
I am doing some shots for light and shadow assignments coming up and wanted to do a portrait using aperture priority to get the smoke sharp and have the figure soft. I think I can use the pop up flash and cover part of it so the person isnt effected by it, but it catches the smoke. That seems like the easiest way to try it. If anyone has any tips I am open. This will be shot at around 1/250 and 4.5 according to initial meter readings. That will stop the action on the smoke and give the shallow DoF I want. I will try and get this up by the weekend as the assignment is due next week.

Ok, so I found an awesome tutorial on Youtube and gave the layering and masking a try!

DSC_1869copycopy.jpg

Most reactions

Back