Glare on beads...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Morrigu, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Morrigu

Morrigu TPF Noob!

Hello....

I have a Cannon Ixus V3 which I am trying to use to take pictures of some beads and other jewelry items that I have made.

I have made a photo box similar to this: http://createapendant.com/photobox.htm

I have set the camera white balance to tungsten, shooting mode to manual, macro mode, no flash.

I don't have a great light at the moment, looking to get something better. But the one I have is a 100 watt bulb with some vellum paper on it.

The problem is that I seem to be getting a lot of glare on the beads and glass. Can I do anything about that? I really don't know what I am doing here.....

You can see a picture at: http://www.silverwynd.net/images/Beads-sample%2001.jpg

If anyone has suggestions of books or anything else I could read to learn how to do what I am trying to do, that would be great.

Thanks for any help!

2. oldnavy170

oldnavy170 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am no expert but you should try shooting them outside during the daylight without the flash. That should help the glare. Good luck with those shots.

3. Dylan

Dylan TPF Noob!

This might help. My mother is a silversmith and she used it when she was shooting pictures of her work for craft shows.

4. fightheheathens

fightheheathens TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    try a polarizer

5. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Can't see the picture so I don't know what it looks like, but try adding several more layers of paper in front of the light to see if that helps.
    Alternately, you can put a piece of white foamboard on the top of the box and aim the light at that, let it reflect back down onto your object.

6. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Glare is usually due to a hard light source reflecting, as JDP quite rightly says, a reflector will make a larger softer source which may help.

Making a tent out of think white sheets or paper and lighting with lots of high power lamps may work well also.

Rob