glenn

spiffybeth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
glenn2em7.jpg

c/c please!

I guess to me it isnt flattering ... he looks mean. and its so close, there are just no clues to what is going on...I think it lends to a disconnected feeling...hard to cc

I guess to me it isnt flattering ... he looks mean. and its so close, there are just no clues to what is going on...I think it lends to a disconnected feeling...hard to cc
fair enough. thanks for the feedback!

rip it apart!!!!!

just know that its dark on purpose.

yikes, ok then. ;)

Emerana has a good point. Im not sure what you're going for in this particular photo either. All we have is an expression, and there is nothing else to connect us to the subject. Is it meant to be a candid or a portrait?

Other things that I can comment on:
1. The lighting gives his skin a bad color cast. Its awfully red in certain areas, and his eyes are too dark. This kind of lighting also shows lots of blemishes and pores in the skin, which is pretty harsh.
2. This particular angle and focal length also is not exactly flattering either, as we are looking up his nostril.

How's that? :)

yikes, ok then. ;)

Emerana has a good point. Im not sure what you're going for in this particular photo either. All we have is an expression, and there is nothing else to connect us to the subject. Is it meant to be a candid or a portrait?

Other things that I can comment on:
1. The lighting gives his skin a bad color cast. Its awfully red in certain areas, and his eyes are too dark. This kind of lighting also shows lots of blemishes and pores in the skin, which is pretty harsh.
2. This particular angle and focal length also is not exactly flattering either, as we are looking up his nostril.

How's that? :)
that was wonderful! thank you :D

that was wonderful! thank you :D

But also, I should add what can be done for the future. ;)

If it was me, I would shoot in RAW and adjust the white balance in post processing, or you can set a custom white balance on the camera before shooting.

Also, I would at least include the subject's whole head and leave a little space around him for a nondistracting background, or include something else in the photo to connect the subject with something.

In addition, I would shoot at his eye level, with him looking at the camera, and back up the focal length a bit more. But again, it all depends on if you are doing a candid or a portrait.

Lastly, I always do some post processing on the skin and eyes, while having it still looking realistic. :)

But also, I should add what can be done for the future. ;)

If it was me, I would shoot in RAW and adjust the white balance in post processing, or you can set a custom white balance on the camera before shooting.

Also, I would at least include the subject's whole head and leave a little space around him for a nondistracting background, or include something else in the photo to connect the subject with something.

In addition, I would shoot at his eye level, with him looking at the camera, and back up the focal length a bit more.

Lastly, I always do some post processing on the skin and eyes, while having it still looking realistic. :)
thank you, this is also appreciated! :D

i did shoot this in RAW and i did play with the white balance. the original shot was much larger and i cropped in on his head because i didnt like the background. and in order to get rid of what was distracting, it left me with glenn's face filling the frame and i liked it a lot.

by the way, its not a portrait. it was a candid. i went to a job fair where he was working because i hadnt seen him since graduation. when i shot this, he was talking to a student about his company so he had no idea i was shooting.

i also upped the clarity when i was playing with it in RAW and underexposed it. i liked his rugged skin and i thought it matched the expression. when i went into photoshop, i dodged and burned and played with curves and levels and i really like what i came out with. i was just looking to see what other people thought of it. and i appreciate everything you guys had to say!

edit: oh, one last thing. his face was red, it was hot in the multi-purpose room in the campus center :D

Reminds me of Walton Goggins.

For me the extreme close up works, and I like how the expression is detached from any sort of context. Makes you wonder.

thanks for the feedback. what causes that? and how do i go about fixing it?

Mixed types of illumination (some fluorescent, etc) when taking the picture or you disturbed the color balance in the post-processing.

My guess this is mixed light that is really diffused so the sharpness is bad and you have all this tinting.

Mixed types of illumination (some fluorescent, etc) when taking the picture or you disturbed the color balance in the post-processing.

My guess this is mixed light that is really diffused so the sharpness is bad and you have all this tinting.
thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back