GND Filter

Josh220

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking at GND filters. They are very confusing though. None of them say if they come with the mount, etc.

Do you have any suggestions for a GND filter for the Nikon 12-24? It uses a 77mm. If the glass and mount come separately, can you please suggest a good option for both?

I am thinking a 3-stop (.9) filter would work best, unless anyone thinks otherwise.

Circular ND grad filters are useless as you cannot choose where to place the graduation in the frame. You need a rectangular filter with a filter holder in which you can slide the filter to position the transition between the dark and light zones of the filter wherever you want it. Lee filters are probably the best but are pricey. I also use cheaper Formatt filters and cannot really see the difference when compared to Lee filters. I would stay away from Cokin filters as they are not truly neutral and sometimes give horrible purple casts in the sky.

If you want to use your ND grad for landscape work (to balance the exposure between sky and ground) a 2 stop filter is probably the most useful (I have 1,2 and 3 stop filters and the 2 stop is the one I use the most). Also these filters come with 2 types of graduation: hard and soft. Hard is better if you have a clear separation between light and dark zones (light a straight horizon).

Circular ND grad filters are useless as you cannot choose where to place the graduation in the frame. You need a rectangular filter with a filter holder in which you can slide the filter to position the transition between the dark and light zones of the filter wherever you want it. Lee filters are probably the best but are pricey. I also use cheaper Formatt filters and cannot really see the difference when compared to Lee filters. I would stay away from Cokin filters as they are not truly neutral and sometimes give horrible purple casts in the sky.

If you want to use your ND grad for landscape work (to balance the exposure between sky and ground) a 2 stop filter is probably the most useful (I have 1,2 and 3 stop filters and the 2 stop is the one I use the most). Also these filters come with 2 types of graduation: hard and soft. Hard is better if you have a clear separation between light and dark zones (light a straight horizon).

Yeah, I had never even considered a round one. The idea of it just seemed useless in my mind.

For the normal GND filters, do you have to purchase the holder separately, or is it included with the filter?

You need an adapter ring to screw to your lens and then a filter holder, all sold separately.

You need an adapter ring to screw to your lens and then a filter holder, all sold separately.

Got it, thanks.

Do you recommend any holders and adapters? I can't seem to find them on B&H. Most of Formatt's GND's are backordered or out of stock right now so I may have to wait a while anyways.

Got it, thanks.

Do you recommend any holders and adapters? I can't seem to find them on B&H. Most of Formatt's GND's are backordered or out of stock right now so I may have to wait a while anyways.

I use a Lee filter and am pleased with it. I have never handled a Formatt holder, so I don't know how good they are.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back