go-to book for learning photog?

The best book(s) are the one(s) you learn from. The best place to find a lot of those books are at your local Public Library. Free to try before you buy.

Photography is a pretty broad subject. You can break it down and fine decent books on composition, exposure, lighting, posing people, landscapes, post processing . . .

I like and have long recommended the many (32) John Hedgecoe books for their photos, diagrams, and illustrations that show how to see light, how to find light, and how to position the camera and yourself in relation to the lighting. These are except for the last two or so, all film-era books, available for $2.99 to $5.00 used, with typically 900 to 1,300 small illustrations and charts and photos....very much How-To Do Photography books--and are NOT current on digitial imaging concepts or methods or software, but are books that explore and teach classic photography techniques and concepts.

Photography and digital imaging are two different, yet related, things.

His Complete Photography Course book is good.

As gryphonslair99 suggests above--visit your local LIBRARY, and check out some free books!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I wasn't looking. but Ysarex posted it already. :)

Anyone have a seasoned suggestion as to which books out there are most worth while?

I had come across an ebook that looked like it had some promise: Understanding Photography: Core Concepts and Techniques with Digital Image Capture -- but wanted to make sure that my money went to the best option...

Thanks
I took @Derrel's suggestions 2 years ago and really, really helped me. It simplifies the learning curve. I still pick them up at least once a week. That book he recommended has 39+ projects in them and if your hungry, they will fill you up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back