Go-To Lens

On my d7000 it's a 16-85 3.5-5.6. On my A6000 it will probably be my 30mm sigma 2.8

For sports, I go with a Nikon 200-500 most of the time. 70-200 depending on the focal length. For almost anything else it's a Sigma 17-50. It suits what I shoot well.

I keep my 50mm lens on my camera as my default setting. It's kind of cliche, but it does a lot of things really well even if it doesn't do them in any sort of great way.

My go-to lens (DX) is a Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, which stays on the body about 95% of the time. I'm always looking for excuses to use my 85mm f/1.8, but find it isn't particularly well-suited for much besides portraits. The 35mm f/1.8 comes out from time to time when I want a more compact setup for family gatherings, but I usually want a bit more versatility in focal lengths.

I have no "go to" lens. It depends on the assignment.
My walk about is the 50mm f/1.4
If I have a product shoot I tend to use the 105mm macro
If I am doing headshots in the studio, I tend to use the 70-200 f/2.8G VR II
If I'm doing outdoor headshots I grab my 85mm f/1.8G (which will soon be replaced with the 105mm f/1.4E)
I also have a 24-70 f/2.8G when I need wider shots.

Camera body is D810

Gary A., Your pictures are very nice.:1247:
I, too like to take a specific lens and challenge myself to be creative. My 24-70 Tokina (full frame) was a fun go-to, UNTIL, I found a used Sigma ART 50 which has ruined me for zooms, so it is my now-new-normal (pun intended) lens.
I try to have my incredible Nikon 70-200 be my go-to (as long as I can drag along my ART 24). Self-tortured conflicted shooter, I know...
I miss my old film days Nikkor 85mm, so I have been waiting for the now brand new ART and it seems to be a real gem, albeit heavy at 2.5lbs. I have to admit that weight and size interferes with "go-to" because I most always carry it with me. The weight of the 24 is perfect and often so is the focal length, so I often wander with it.
But I really like the 85mm because it is the same focal length as our eyes (not field of view, of course). In other words, when I had a light weight 85, it was my go to! But maybe the new ART will be too big and heavy to be the go to.
The ART lenses will spoil you! The colors are so nice. Here's an example of my 24: _RAL7978
In summary, I agree to not really having ONE. My go to lens might be whatever I grab, but is usually my 50, although this focal length is always a compromise, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Hmm, my go-to lens is the 500 F4 VR. It is a little heavy but still is my walk around. The 70-200 is like a feather, not sure why people consider it heavy?

Hmm, my go-to lens is the 500 F4 VR. It is a little heavy but still is my walk around. The 70-200 is like a feather, not sure why people consider it heavy?
Lol.. be fun to see the reaction you'd get carrying that mounted on a camera through the local shopping mall.

Not sure why folks are always saying the 70-200 is so heavy. It's the lens I have mounted probably 90+% of the time.

Never really thought of it as heavy myself.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

70-200mm f2.8 are heavy. One can especially feel that at the end of a day.

However if you spend many hours lifting heavier lenses or items or working out chances are that your physical fitness will go up to a point where the 70-200mm f2.8 is a very comfortable weight to hold for a day. Indeed even if you just use that lens; with regular use; most people of normal fitness should be able to get to a point where its comfortable to use for a day.

However other factors also come into play - fatigue and proper handholding method as well as proper resting and breaks (experienced photographers find all kinds of ways to have little breaks so that they are not holding the lens at the ready all the time and thus wearing themselves out).

robbins.photo, Agreed that a 3.4 pound lens is not heavy. Any man that disagrees needs to spend time in the gym!
It is the length of the 70-200 that makes it hard to carry everywhere without bumping it.
p.s. I regularly hand hold my 6 pounder for hours during race weekends.

Last edited:
robbins.photo, Agreed that a 3.4 pound lens is not heavy. Any man that disagrees needs to spend time in the gym!
It is the length of the 70-200 that makes it hard to carry everywhere without bumping it.
I guess a lot depends on what your used too. For me the 70-200 is mounted so often that when I do mount the smaller lens feels like I'm not carrying anything at all

robbins.photo,
that's what i need to strive for. thanks for encouragement to carry the zoom tele and not be a wimp. ;)
regarding protection, my wife unit gave me the excellent Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 30 V2.0 which holds the combo just fine. incredibly, i also use it to hold the big sig! thanks for telling me to quit my whining and start carrying it as my go-to!

I guess a lot depends on what your used too. For me the 70-200 is mounted so often that when I do mount the smaller lens feels like I'm not carrying anything at all

Last edited:
70-200mm f2.8 are heavy. One can especially feel that at the end of a day.

However if you spend many hours lifting heavier lenses or items or working out chances are that your physical fitness will go up to a point where the 70-200mm f2.8 is a very comfortable weight to hold for a day. Indeed even if you just use that lens; with regular use; most people of normal fitness should be able to get to a point where its comfortable to use for a day.

However other factors also come into play - fatigue and proper handholding method as well as proper resting and breaks (experienced photographers find all kinds of ways to have little breaks so that they are not holding the lens at the ready all the time and thus wearing themselves out).
don't let my GF catch you saying that the 70-200 f/2.8 is heavy.
her go-to lens is the AF-S 300mm f/2.8G

robbins.photo,
that's what i need to strive for. thanks for encouragement to carry the zoom tele and not be a wimp. ;)
regarding protection, my wife unit gave me the excellent Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 30 V2.0 which holds the combo just fine. incredibly, i also use it to hold the big sig! thanks for telling me to quit my whining and start carrying it as my go-to!

I looked at maybe getting the think tank for those days where I've got rain/snow to deal with, to keep the camera out of the elements as much as possible. It's still on my wishlist. :)

For me the 70-200 is pretty much my go-to, it's on the camera almost all of the time. Turns out between it and the two teleconverters it's pretty much the perfect range of focal lengths for the vast majority of what I shoot.

I am hoping to get something in the 600mm range at some point, but that will be at the earliest sometime next year.. need eye surgery first.

Most reactions

Back