God Bless Americans...

Cooking your stuffing inside the turkey is a good way to share the gift of salmonella with your friends.

Thanksgiving for me means working 12 hours yesterday, working 4 hours earlier than usual today, still having 40 hours to work, and being expected to attend social functions every night.

When you work in live entertainment, holidays mean extra work. Tuesdays in the spring are my holidays.

morydd said:
Cooking your stuffing inside the turkey is a good way to share the gift of salmonella with your friends.

Thanksgiving for me means working 12 hours yesterday, working 4 hours earlier than usual today, still having 40 hours to work, and being expected to attend social functions every night.

When you work in live entertainment, holidays mean extra work. Tuesdays in the spring are my holidays.

I've never heard that before. Isn't that why you COOK THE BIRD all the way? I always put the stuffing inside.

bace said:
You're the one who said it.

No but seriously. If you preheat and sear the skin it won't be dry? I don't like dry Turkey. If that's the way to get juicy turkey then you're my hero.
Dude. I do this all the time. It's foolproof! High heat to preheat, then immediately reduce to 350 and roast as above. You can baste it every 30 minutes or so to brown it up. But it will be fantastic! The seared skin retains the juices inside, keeps the meat very moist.

Trust meeeeeee...... :mrgreen:

core_17 said:
...darn thanksgiving. :grumpy: I can't afford to lose a day's wage. :grumpy:

I hear you there! I have to work 6 months at my job before I get holiday pay. I have been at my job for 4 months!!!!! NOT HAPPY!!!!! Plus, I have to work Friday and I had planned on shopping. I have never had to work the day after Thanksgiving until I got this job!!!! :x

I am looking forward to spending time with my family and having a few days off from work. On Friday, my Mom and I are taking the kids to the park I used to play at when I visited my Grandmother growing up and then to the toy store she used to take me to. They probably won't understand the importance, but we will and we're looking forward to it :)

Bace Meister! Enjoy the T'giving, dude. This year we won't visit anyone or invite anyone for Thanksgiving. This year we're taking the hog for a ride to one of the bikers' place in Rock Springs Arizona. Woohoo!...

As for a good recipe, I've learned one from a local chef:

24 hours before roasting the turkey:

In a cooler (for beer, or any conatiner where you can fit the bird) put 2 cups of Kosher salt, 4 cups of sugar and very cold water about half way. Mix well and drop the turkey in, minus the gizzards, neck and all the other goodies that come inside. Add more water until it's totally immersed. Close cooler and place in the fridge. If it doesn't fit, put lots of ice cubes in the cooler and make sure you add more cubes every 4-6 hours. Leave the turkey in that brine for 24 hours.

Day of roasting:

Take the bird out and wash it very well in cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels, dress it your favorite way and roast it in the oven. The turkey will be so moist and the meat will fall off the bones that you won't believe it! Apparently the brine will cook the turkey somewhat, making it very tender.

Good luck, mate!

Most reactions

Back