Godox AD600 - Wireless remote compatibility between Nikon and Canon

k.udhay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am planning to rent a Godox AD600 flash unit [ GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD AD600/AD600B ] to try with HSS for the first time. The lender has the wireless triggers compatible with canon and sony cameras. I have a Nikon (D3200) and want to use off-camera flash and specifically for HSS.

1. Has anyone here checked if the wireless trigger of Canon or Sony can be used with Nikon?
2. Do you have any alternate solution if the wireless trigger is not compatible with Nikon?

I have Yongnuo pocket strobes. Yongnuo's remote trigger works well with both Canon and Nikon. Hoping the same with Godox!

are you planning on renting the R2 controller as well? that's ultimately what makes it compatible.

I will get an X1T-C (canon mount)... Trying to ensure still it gives HSS with Nikon camera.

I'm not sure about whether or not the HSS will work with the Nikon while using a Canon trigger. Seem to recall that my other (R1) trigger would fire from a nikon camera (I shoot canon) because of the single pin in the trigger.

If I understand correctly, they have a universal controller, it actually figures out what manufacture it's talking to and sends the correct information.

I'm not sure about whether or not the HSS will work with the Nikon while using a Canon trigger.
This is exactly my apprehension!!! :(

Seem to recall that my other (R1) trigger would fire from a nikon camera (I shoot canon) because of the single pin in the trigger.
And this is exactly I have observed with yongnuo remote as well :)

there's a difference between triggering a flash to fire (no data), and having the full control of the flash/strobe like it's mounted on your hotshoe (data).

the Flashpoint R2 Pro or Flashpoint R2 TTL Transmitter is required for this. It does look like they are brand specific, so you'd need the Nikon one, but I don't believe the strobe itself matters -- it can accept the single from a Canon or Nikon R2 transmitter.

it's possible there's no difference between the two -- I may be able to power up my old Canon Rebel and see what happens.

Hi... Has the camera got anything to do support HSS feature? I tried my Nikon D3200 with Godox X1 (Nikon mount) to trigger AD600 strobe. I was not able to raise my shutter speed above 1/200 s. While googling I found this conversation in some page:

Screenshot_20180203-011113.png

yeah, the d3200 doesn't support autoFP (HSS). But you should still be able to fire the flash and curtain sync all the way up to 1/4000sec in manual mode.

HSS and curtain syncing at 1/4000 are two different things.

HSS is basically continuous light, the flash will rapidly pulse -- your D3200 doesn't support this.

Curtain synching? Will it eliminate the black bar at the bottom half of my pic. at shutter speeds higher that max. shutter synch speed?

Yes. But maybe that wont even work on your D3200 -- I took my D610 off AutoFP mode for my flash sync speed and capped it to 1/200. With the R2 transmitter attached, i cant bring the SS above 1/200sec, even in M mode. As soon as I put it to 1/200 (autoFP) I can set it to whatever SS i want.

the only way I could get it above those SSs was using U1 and U2 modes. So unsure if your D3200 even be able to shoot above 1/200 sec in a "hyper sync" fashion.

if you have a flash unit for your camera at your disposal, see if youre able to bring the shutter speed above 1/200sec with it attached and powered up (with the flash in M mode)

Last edited:
Thank you. I will check with my Youngnuo to record here tomorrow. Will be useful for someone like me.

I looked for an answer about HSS and the D3200. The closest thing I got to a definitive answer that I was able to find in a brief web search was from this page: Does the Nikon D3300 support high-speed sync speedlights?

At that page, one respondent wrote: "For full iTTL/HSS flash on a Nikon body (or radio triggers for that matter), you need a flash that speaks the Nikon hotshoe protocol, and has all four Nikon pins on the foot.

You can see the difference in hotshoe contact "pins" between Canon, and Nikon, in the linked article. The pin arrangement is quite different; if a trigger or flash has ONLY the central "fire" pin, then advanced features are typically going to be absent for that camera/trigger/flash combination.

My feeling is that the entire D3xxx-series of bodies can _not_ perform flash synch above 1/200 or "X-sync" maximum speed, no matter what flash or what flash triggering system is used. I would be happy to be incorrect about this, but do not think I am. I think you need a higher-series body, like a 7xxx-series, or one of the earlier, mid- or higher-level Nikons that does support what Nikon calls FPSynch (Canon calls it HSS).

Most reactions

Back