Goin digital!!!!!

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by spiralout, Dec 4, 2004.

1. spiralout

spiralout TPF Noob!

Can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait!!!! As soon as I get my credit card in the mail I'm gettin myself a brand new Nikon D70! I used to (well a month ago when I started) think that digital cameras were copouts and that "real" photgraphers used film... that is, until I realized just how much it costs to get 2-3 rolls of film developed a day! It's really discouraging when you get back shots that came out NOTHING like you thought they would when you have to pay for them, even if they should be a learning experience. For instance, the other day I shot 3 rolls of 100 with my iso dial at 400. After that I decided that digital wouldn't be such a bad idea after all: instant feedback, no cost for development, no middle man to screw up your negs, MUCH more sensitive metering, and sexy digital sleekness to drive the ladies mad (hey, a guy can dream, mmk). IT'S PERFECT!!!!

... if I'm rambling on, it's because I'm as happy as I've been in ages. :D

2. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

:D

Good for you I say!

I, on the other hand will start exploring film... right after I get money, get a tripod, 2 lenses... etc :D

Digital is cool. No way around that. Especially for learning to to take pics, comparing sharpness of lens (to a certain point)...

IMO you should have both digital and a film body with a collection of lenses that match. Then you can go around shooting stuff... blah blah blah... :D

I'm just happy for you.... (and secretly happy that the digital community has +1 members)

Cheers

3. John E.

John E. TPF Noob!

I have owned camera's for 25yrs. I never had the space to develop and print my own photo's.
    I got so discouraged with labs that I gave up on photography for a number of years. I would get a picture that I liked blown up and lo and behold the colours at times were so different from the orginal, I threw the photo away. I often wonder how many pictures I would have liked blown up and put them aside only because the labs didn't print it properly from the negative.

Now I am responsible for the outcome of my pictures. My opinion is if a person cannot develop there own photo's, Digital is the only way to go! I now enjoy photography again.

Congradulations on going digital, it's a whole new world. Smart move.

One note of caution; Be very, very, carefull with credit, you end up paying big time for your purchases.

4. DocFrankenstein

True!

And BTW: the credit card should be reserved for that Nikkor glass you're gonna get soon :lol:

5. Shutterbug

Shutterbug TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You'll love the D70. I love mine <3

6. triggerhappy

triggerhappy TPF Noob!

Me too!

7. Bokeh

Bokeh TPF Noob!

This post may get deleted by a mod, and I'm not trolling here, but I just don't understand why anyone would spend the money for a D70 when they could get a 20d.

[/rant]

8. spiralout

spiralout TPF Noob!

Whoa, I'm not ready to throw THAT much money away yet! THe D70 should satisfy all my photography needs, Troll McTrollerson. :p

9. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Let's not start yet ANOTHER Canon Vs Nikon debate, ok?

Congrats Spiralout! :)

10. mattvillano

mattvillano TPF Noob!

i don't want to instigate a debate but the D70 is cheaper and really isn't that much different. I talked with the wedding photog i work for about going with the D70 or the 20d and he's a canon buff and he told me to go for the d70 since I already was nikon user. Either camera is great.

On another note....I was hesitant to go digital myself but I like it.....but I still love film and now I want to spend serious time with film too.

11. DocFrankenstein

He had Nikon lenses... The differences are minor and he'd lost more by getting canon lenses all over again.

12. PreludeX

PreludeX TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Im goin digital too, only for the reason that by the time im out of school, the career i go will only want digital so they have the photos right away.. but the way i look at is, if you only do digital your only good to a certain point and need to use a computer program to make up that lack, but when your film shooting and digitally shootin you good way beyond that point with the know how to take good pics and be able to work with them in a darkroom... that shows awesomly true talent- not saying that photoshopping isnt a talent, that craps hard :p but thats just IMO