Going backwards

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by deb, Apr 24, 2010.

1. deb

deb TPF Noob!

A couple of weeks ago my grandson had his district Pinewood Derby. I wanted to take pictures, but didn't want to be saddled with camera bag, lenses, and a ton of equipment at the event. My plan was to stop at CVS pharmacy and pick up a new battery and some film for an APS point and shoot camera. I live in a tourist area, and last time I checked CVS had a great selection of film and camera batteries - what a difference a decade makes! I ended up taking a disposable camera to the derby.

I decided that it was time to purchase a "pocket" camera that I could carry around for snapshots of events. I had no experience with digital P&S cameras - but had worked with Minolta and Canon (now Sony and Canon) digital equipment for years and with enough lights and lenses could do whatever I wanted.

I chose a Panasonic Lumix FH20. It has a pretty good zoom and is idiot proof. I don't expect the picture quality you get from a dslr and good glass - but I don't know what I do expect. I don't hate the camera or the images, but I don't love them either. Does anyone else use a "pocket camera" when you want to enjoy an event or outing - but don't want to be the official photographer? What are your experiences - i.e. how many times have you thought "Oh, damn, I wish I had brought my ......" or do you just get use to the limited control, make the best of the shots you get and enjoy the event?

2. MattxMosh

MattxMosh TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a Kodak Zi8. Its not great image quality, but it take decent video. It works perfect for carrying in my pocket, with no settings to screw with. Great while drunk ha, and its quick.

Usually I make the wife take it so I wont be bothered, ha.

3. leebea

leebea TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am going on a Club Med vacation in a couple of weeks and I didn't want to haul my Rebel Xsi with me so I happened by a Lumix FH20 at Costco. I bought it on the spur of the moment and was surprised to learn what features it had. It has a Leica lens so hopefully picture quality will be decent. It is full featured but also has an IA (Intelligent Auto) mode. It has a great 130 page on-line manual too. I'll post pictures when I return (mid June).

4. tdz16

tdz16 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From what I'm told CVS plans on phasing out film/film developing altogether at sometime soon. They haven't nailed down a date, but its coming sooner than later. At my store we only stock 4 shelves of "film", 2 of which are disposable cameras.

P & S cameras have become so cheap its hard not to make the switch.

~Tom

5. Tulsa

Tulsa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting, I picked up a 30d for a lighter carry around camera. My wife has a nice P&S, I really do not like using it, I would prefer to carry around the 30d. Thats just me, enjoy the P&S.

6. er111a

er111a TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the powershots by canon