Going For A Really Vintage Look

BTilson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Like it was shot with a really old film camera on really old film. Did I pull it off?

1)

3245365593_85ca7ae138_o.jpg

2)

3245346389_621919b597_o.jpg

Looking at them this morning, I think I got the second one almost TOO dark.

Any C&C is appreciated! Thanks!

Both are wayyyy underexposed, but if you lightened them up I think you would have that 'vintage' look you're going for even if neither of them really do anything for me personally. Just kinda static (especially the first one, it seems kinda blurred too).

Sort of Holga-esque or DIY Lensbaby; I like it! This looks like it could be from a vintage consumer camera (the cheap point-n-shoots of the day). The cameras of 100+ years ago used by serious amateurs and pros made sharp, clear, no-vig photos.

The second one looks more like a print that was dodged too much in the center. Try increasing the contrast in that area a bit. Even with the crazy vig we should see pretty close to actual black tones.

Thanks for the input everyone. I am going to keep working on this technique, as I really like the results. I do agree that they are both pretty under exposed. I'll keep working on it, and also try to find some more interesting subject matter that would go with this technique. These were mostly just test shots for the processing, more so than going for a truly photographic finished result. Just 'practice', if you will.

Thanks all!

I really like the first one, but I dislike how tunnel visioned the second one made me feel.

Here's another stab at the effect... Not sure if I like the "old film lines" in it or not...

3249208104_98230ba403_o.jpg

Awesome. Thanks! Glad to hear it! I am still torn on it. I definitely like the "real" look of this, but I'm not entirely sure I pulled it off digitally or not.

<edit> Here's another try at it.

3249712548_82677a9f82_o.jpg

Last edited:
kinda dark but i like them! the other ones look way good, better imo

Most reactions

Back