Going FX. D600 or D800

pony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot newborn, child, family. Natural light, outside weather permitting. I want to upgrade to FX.
I went from a D90 (which I loved) to a D7000 (that I want to love). The D7000 has the improved ISO I was seeking, but for me the oil/dust/whatever on the sensor is a very real problem...and it is very frustrating.
I think the D600 is probably a good fit for me, but the oil splatter issues reported with it are making me very hesitant to buy it. I completely understand that issues seem worse than they are because the unhappy people tend to be the most vocal...but coming off my experiences with the D7000 is really making me a little worried about the D600.

The file sizes on the D800 are probably overkill for me, and I appreciate the smaller and lighter build of the D600...but I wonder if the D800 might be a better option.
I have never shot at anything other than the highest resolution my cameras have been capable of...but if the file size is my biggest concern with the D800, would shooting it not maxed out be an option? Or is that just silly?

Sorry for the potentially ignorant sounding question...and thank you for any input on the D600

I have the D600 and it fits the bill just fine. It lacks huge files, 51 AF points and 1/8000 shutter speed. D600 is suitable for nearly every photo need for nearly every photog. The oil spots on the sensor are real. Don't let that hamper your decision to consider it. I just researched cleaning the spots, acquired the kit to clean them and did it myself without issue. Should spots return, no big deal.

Should you relentlessly research the D600 on the web, you should find there isn't a thing close to it in it's price range and it is in print that it takes IQ to a level in the top 4 cameras available period.

Thanks!
I agree with the poster in that thread that a D800 with 24mp and the D600 fps would make it a no brainer.
But, there is no such camera that I am aware of.
I know you will laugh...but would shooting the D800 at lower resolution make a difference? Do the RAW files stay the same size if I do that?
Thanks

Thanks!
I agree with the poster in that thread that a D800 with 24mp and the D600 fps would make it a no brainer.
But, there is no such camera that I am aware of.
I know you will laugh...but would shooting the D800 at lower resolution make a difference? Do the RAW files stay the same size if I do that?
Thanks

In regard to the D800, 16.2MB for a 14 bit NEF compressed file in DX according to the manual.

Raw files are the same.

If you get it right then jpegs are fine, and you still have the option to use the raw files should you get that 'great shot' that you want to baby.

I too considered the D600 but since getting the D800 my medium format and large format cameras stay at home.

It's too bad Nikon didn't see fit to copy Canon's concept of sRAW and mRAW, or small, and medium-sized raw files as an option in the D800. If you want 24MP full-frame raws from a Nikon, your choices are the D600 or the D3x. I do not see the logic behind buying the D800, and shooting it in DX crop mode just to get a 16-megapixel image.

By all accounts, the new D7100 and its 24MP sensor have excellent,excellent imaging performance. According to people who have owned BOTH the D7000 and the new D7100, the D7100 is really a step-UP, and not just an iteration of the D7000. The D7100 is,as I understand it, uses an entirely new, different generation of sensor than the one used in the D7000. That is to say, the D7100's sensor is of the same generation as the ones used in the D600 and D800. I dunno...I have been looking at some D7100 tests lately,and it seems like a REALLY good imager.

But, back to the D600 vs D800 connundrum...I'd be tempted to say that either would do the job for you. Either body.

I haven't held either or but a plus is the size and weight. I sometimes take my d90 and love how light and small it is compared to my d700. If you don't need the features the d800 has, then I would go for a d600 but wait till the oil issue is cleared up or learn how to clean a sensor. As Derrel mentioned, the d3x is an option too but I think the d600 low light performance should be significantly better. Don't let the max shutter speed or flash sync speed deter you. You probably aren't going be shooting at that fast of a shutter speed anyway.

All in all its really about what you need and want. I happen to be a fan of the build of the d800 and its AF system but I never print that large. On the same token, all of my gear is in great condition and I don't put it through crappy environmental.
Just take a moment and decide what you need and see what fits the bill.

Harddrive/SD/CF card memory is so cheap and plentiful nowadays, and the Apple iMac rocks at processing it. I like the 36, actually 56 would suit me fine too....step it up, NIKON I want to be able to crop way into models pupil and clearly see her brain cells
badteeth.gif

Harddrive/SD/CF card memory is so cheap and plentiful nowadays, and the Apple iMac rocks at processing it. I like the 36, actually 56 would suit me fine too....step it up, NIKON I want to be able to crop way into models pupil and clearly see her brain cells
badteeth.gif

models have brain cells? :p
I kid I kid!

I guess I was confused. I was hoping there was some way to shoot at lower resolution without shooting in DX mode. This is an area I am completely uneducated because I have never encountered this situation.

I have a D7000 and have become pretty good at cleaning the sensor. It's not the end of the world, but there is nothing more annoying than noticing spots in the sky half way through an outdoor session. I can hear the clock ticking when I imagine all the extra time in post processing :/

The only reason I am not considering the D7100 is that I shoot pretty much only primes. I do all the newborn and small child session inside and on location during the cold months (which are plentiful in Chicago). I LOVE my 50mm and 85mm. Many times I really wish I had the extra room the FX would give me!

I am still undecided. I do some large prints, but nothing that requires 36mp...but it would be lovely to be able to crop...
And without the potential spatter issues I really think the D600 would be a great fit for me...

Blah! When are we due for a new FX? I would love a lower mp d800

It's too bad Nikon didn't see fit to copy Canon's concept of sRAW and mRAW, or small, and medium-sized raw files as an option in the D800. If you want 24MP full-frame raws from a Nikon, your choices are the D600 or the D3x. I do not see the logic behind buying the D800, and shooting it in DX crop mode just to get a 16-megapixel image.

By all accounts, the new D7100 and its 24MP sensor have excellent,excellent imaging performance. According to people who have owned BOTH the D7000 and the new D7100, the D7100 is really a step-UP, and not just an iteration of the D7000. The D7100 is,as I understand it, uses an entirely new, different generation of sensor than the one used in the D7000. That is to say, the D7100's sensor is of the same generation as the ones used in the D600 and D800. I dunno...I have been looking at some D7100 tests lately,and it seems like a REALLY good imager.

But, back to the D600 vs D800 connundrum...I'd be tempted to say that either would do the job for you. Either body.

There's also some concern that the D7100 uses the D5200 sensor minus an AA filter. There's also the Expeed 3 processor on the D7100. Need to see more, better reviews of the D7100 to judge if it's really worth 50% more than the D7000.

What were the OP's issues with the D7000??? Never heard of a widespread cruddy sensor problem with the D7000.

What were the OP's issues with the D7000??? Never heard of a widespread cruddy sensor problem with the D7000.

This is my issue with the D7000. Every couple hundred shots. I am over 5000 now and it is not going away as I had hoped :(
Pic of sensor is only smeared because I tried dry cleaning/blowing it before wet cleaning.
$8445297416_9566b9d6f3_b.jpg

$8444963481_1be195a496_b.jpg

This is my issue with the D7000. Every couple hundred shots. I am over 5000 now and it is not going away as I had hoped :(
Pic of sensor is only smeared because I tried dry cleaning/blowing it before wet cleaning.
If that's the case, then you may have a malfunctioning camera. I've never seen any SLR get that dirty in only a couple hundred shots without the user changing lenses in a sandstorm. This is the first I've heard of it on a D7000 as well.

Honestly the D600 sensor dust/dirt issue isn't terrible. I sent mine in to Nikon Service for cleaning after about 1500 shutter actuations and it's only developed a single spot since then (which is common enough on any interchangeable lens camera). Overall I'm extremely pleased with the camera and am glad to have not spent the extra thousand bucks on the D800, but I totally understand different use/case scenarios where people would want the D800.

If that's the case, then you may have a malfunctioning camera. I've never seen any SLR get that dirty in only a couple hundred shots without the user changing lenses in a sandstorm. This is the first I've heard of it on a D7000 as well.

Honestly the D600 sensor dust/dirt issue isn't terrible. I sent mine in to Nikon Service for cleaning after about 1500 shutter actuations and it's only developed a single spot since then (which is common enough on any interchangeable lens camera). Overall I'm extremely pleased with the camera and am glad to have not spent the extra thousand bucks on the D800, but I totally understand different use/case scenarios where people would want the D800.

Since finding my spots I have read a lot about the D7000. I always take it with a grain of salt though. Unfortunately it is way out of warranty and cleaning is just something I am stuck doing.
My D90 was 4 years and nearing 100K and the sensor was spotless. The D7000 (mine anyway) definitely has an issue.

I am extremely happy to hear that your issues with the D600 have gone away!
Thanks

Most reactions

Back