Going macro with canon

ahh no its not that I don't think the canon is a good choice (rereading it does seem that I am running an anti canon run here though without intending it).
I have also found that both the sigma lenses have slower autofocusing than the canon - which is another factor - as even though one should use manual with macro as it is more accurate, its often hard to leave the comfort zone of AF.

65mm macro its very good, has a huge 5* magification and is very tricky to get right when you start out with it

65mm macro is a real beast and very difficult to use... I would only recommend it to someone who is seasoned in macro photography. It would not be the first time I saw someone stray away from macro photography from frustrations from the lens rather than macro itself.

Overread, I do understand the "want" to expand your line of lenses but please try to understand just how difficult it is to shoot 1:1 without A LOT of light which is only possible with a good macro flash. Look at some insect photos and notice how the DOF at times can be just a centimeter or two even at f/11 or f/16.

[EDIT]
DOF Example
Canon 5D (full frame)
100mm focal length
Subject distance of 30 cm (about 1 foot)
Aperture = f/11

DOF near limit = 29.8 cm
DOF far limit = 30.2 cm
Total DOF = 0.41cm.

Now just imagine not having a flash and having to open up to f/2.8 for a shot... IMO, its practically impossible.

65mm macro is a real beast and very difficult to use... I would only recommend it to someone who is seasoned in macro photography. It would not be the first time I saw someone stray away from macro photography from frustrations from the lens rather than macro itself.

Oh I completely agree! There is no way I would hand my 65mm to a new macro shooter. It inspires frustration in me, and I know what it is capable of and how to use it (somewhat). :)

I understand your point USA - though macro at 2.8, well that would mean stitching shots together for sure. I also think that my recent macro has been in the midday to early afternoon light, so its been blessed with very strong light sources, rather than limited light.

I suppose it does not help that one forums is saying 100mm and another is saying 150mm ;)
For what it is worth it seems that (with some googling) the 100mm macro is a very popular and good lens - however too many views are in the "I have only got this one lens" line whilst comparisons seem to be hiding from me - or don't really cut a fine dividing line between any of the choices I have at the moment.

Bringing this back now

anyway I think I have decided to go for the sigma 150mm for the exrta working distance (and the included hood and tripod grip ;)).
Now I hope to use this with the sigma teleconverters to get a longer focal length which can help lead to getting some wonderful bokahs - however whilst I have read and seen results from its use with the 1.4mm I have not found much on its use with the 2* teleconverter. So has anyone any experiences and is it a good choice to make - or is the loss in quliaty too much?

Most reactions

Back