going out tomorrow night...advice??

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by 303villain, Jun 28, 2005.

1. 303villain

303villain TPF Noob!

Well i will be spending tomorrow afternoon/night wandering around downtown Denver taking photograhs... i have a few noob areas on which i could use some guidance :D ive got three rolls of kodak high def 400 film a friend gave me to shoot :D never really shot much color on film.

i want to take some photographs inside UnionStation, ive tried it in the past, didnt really like my results, but since then ive bought a flash, and a tripod. the station is very old and dimly lit, but i think a flash might take away from the mood of the place, any tips on what i could do to preserve this, yet still soak in as much of the colors of the place as possible?

another similar, yet different thing is, i want to get some photographs of the less than lovely parts of town, which ive done before, but not at night, is there any way to capture the colors of all of the graffiti and such without using a flash? obviously ill need a longer exposure but i really want the colors stand out as much as possible without being manipulated(i havent bough ps yet!).

any advice would be great really, like i said, ive never shot color 35mm except for car/bmx stuff....

thanks

2. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Hi there,

Generally speaking, atmospheric images such as the station are probably going to turn out best with a tripod and no flash. Set your camera in aperture priority mode and shoot at f8 or higher to get a reasonable depth-of-field. Remember that light sources will have a greater effect on the picture, so try and avoid things like streetlights being in the shot or they may ruin the shot.

For a graffiti and high-colour work, you're going to need light to get the colour balance right. So use flash for these kind of shots obviously avoiding any reflective surfaces.

Good luck!

Rob

3. 303villain

303villain TPF Noob!

i kinda figured as much with the flash thing, so i avoided using one. im getting them processed today so hopefully ill have some photos to share tomorrow! thanks!