Going outdoor shooting tommorow of DEER. Any Tips?

feRRari4756

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys we go hunting every Saturday and Im taking my camera for the first time. I have a Canon 30d.

I have a 70-210 mm lens so I think i should get some good shots.

When should I use my polorizing filter? Dawn, noon, and Dusk? or just1 or 2 of the 3? (The sky will be included in all of the pics and I like when the skky pops out)

Also, tthe woods will be kinda dark. Is it better to overexpose the sky or underexpose the foreground (where the deer will be)? (I am shooting in RAW and will be doing post editing)

What should be the minimun shutter speed for a deer traveling at about 20 MPH and my zoom at about 150 mm? Im guessing 1/1250?

ANY OTHER TIPS FOR THE SHARPEST AND MOST COLORFUL AND BRIGHTEST IMAGES ARE APPRECIATED.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT LOL, I AM GOING OUT AT 5 IN THE MORNING!

Thanks!

how do i get shots like this hahah?

RP1_0891_web-1.jpg

I don't have the specs tonight, but these two were taken at almost dark thirty. I think the ISO was at 3200. Shooting with a 70-200mm at f/2.8. Noisy, shakey, but what the hell?

Spooked-1.jpg

Spooked-2.jpg

I was about 30-50 yards from the deer. These images are cropped.​

lol kundalini's third pic looks funny. Looks like the dear only has its hind legs and is falling.

Stop at a sporting goods store and get a hunting blind, and some stuffs to attract them and/or cover your scent and follow some basic hunting laws even if it is not deer season where you are.

wow. you must live around a lot of deer. in arkansas, its very hard to get that close to a deer this time of year...but we've got squirrels like you wouldn't believe...and i don't even ever want to take pictures of them.

Someone was talking about this a while ago and saying you need a WAY bigger lens because the hunters can kill at a far greater range than you can effectively shoot.

I think they had said a 400mm would be an absolute minimum.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back