Going Pro- Need vs Desire & Work output to Satisfaction input ratios

@SquarePeg I think I ran into this last time I checked out volunteer opportunities- Every organization I have found (so far) wants for professional information on the photographers application. EIN numbers, Years you've been in business, link to professional websites ETC. So its unlikely I would qualify without going into business first.

I'll see if I can find out the name of the org my friend volunteered for. She did very very briefly have a website and offer "sessions" to local friends for Christmas cards and the like so she may have had all of that but I would think a few examples of your work would suffice!
It might be something I'd have to contact the company directly (pre application) to discuss. Of corse, they don't mention another way to show samples of work. I also wonder if its an insurance thing? If they only use pros who carry insurance, then they wouldn't need to carry it themselves?

. I also wonder if its an insurance thing? If they only use pros who carry insurance, then they wouldn't need to carry it themselves?

You may be right. I checked a few sites, and they all required verification of professional status. Still if you're close to a base, it wouldn't prevent someone from posting on bulletin boards/facebook/etc. offering free photography services.

I suppose what I am wondering is, if the work output to satisfaction input ratio is something that can be pre-calculated? Or does it really just come down to jumping in, testing the waters and experiencing first hand, fulfillment or lack thereof?
Did you know you would enjoy photography as a career before you started?
Is it simply a means to a end?
Would you do it if you didn't have too?

I don't think you can calculate out the exact ratio when it comes to work output/satisfaction. You're dealing with people and people are unpredictable. :) You will have bad days and good days, hopefully more good days than bad.

I started my business in 2012 and not only that it is my only source of income, I'm also the primary provider of my household. When it comes to the artistic side of a photography business, it can be repetitive. I enjoy both the business aspect and the creative aspect of running a photography business. Before I went full time, I was afraid that by making it a business I won't be able to enjoy photography. I actually enjoy photography very much and my clients love that I'm so passionate about what I do. So, yes I knew I would enjoy photography.

A means to an end? I'm not sure exactly what you mean. :eek:

I would do it much earlier in life if I had to go back and do it again. :)

I suppose what I am wondering is, if the work output to satisfaction input ratio is something that can be pre-calculated? Or does it really just come down to jumping in, testing the waters and experiencing first hand, fulfillment or lack thereof?

I don't think you can calculate out the exact ratio when it comes to work output/satisfaction. You're dealing with people and people are unpredictable. :) You will have bad days and good days, hopefully more good days than bad.

I started my business in 2012 and not only that it is my only source of income, I'm also the primary provider of my household. When it comes to the artistic side of a photography business, it can be repetitive. I enjoy both the business aspect and the creative aspect of running a photography business. Before I went full time, I was afraid that by making it a business I won't be able to enjoy photography. I actually enjoy photography very much and my clients love that I'm so passionate about what I do. So, yes I knew I would enjoy photography.

People, unpredictable?! WHAT?!

I am glad to hear it is possible to love photography as a job, and as a hobby/passion.

I am wondering if it makes more sense to wait until both kids are in middle school and a little more independent to pursue this. Or do I pursue it now, with the idea that it will take a few years to really get the ball rolling and a steady stream of work/clients? So many questions, so few that can be answered definitely!

Lots more thinking to do.

I am glad to hear it is possible to love photography as a job, and as a hobby/passion.

I am wondering if it makes more sense to wait until both kids are in middle school and a little more independent to pursue this. Or do I pursue it now, with the idea that it will take a few years to really get the ball rolling and a steady stream of work/clients? So many questions, so few that can be answered definitely!

I'm not a pro. But I think you should go for it. You seem passionate and interested, and you are fortunate enough to be in a place where the consequences aren't terrible if it doesn't work out. I also think it's much more likely that you'd regret waiting than you would regret giving it a shot.

I totally get the idea about waiting for your kids to be older...but honestly, I'm sure you can be a kick-ass mom and a kick-ass photographer at the same time. When you're running the books, it's a lot easier to let your priorities rule your business. One of the really successful wedding photographers around here (booked out at least two years, charges about the max the market will bear) takes the entire month of August off every year. My friends were incredulous when they called to book her...but she was really straight forward and said that her kids are off from school and it's more important for her to be a mom.

Anyways...just my two cents.

@JonA_CT thanks so much for chiming in!! I suppose I did leave out in the original post, that I hopeschool my 2 kids. However, we do that year round about 15 days a month. So I sort of have the other 15 days when my DH is off work and can take the kids- but it cuts into family time.

I suppose though, there’s no way to figure out how much time it actually cuts, without just giving it a go!

And you’re right, if I decide it isn’t working- there isn’t any huge loss, or inevitable epic catastrophe. Just a little money wasted on it.

@JonA_CT thanks so much for chiming in!! I suppose I did leave out in the original post, that I hopeschool my 2 kids. However, we do that year round about 15 days a month. So I sort of have the other 15 days when my DH is off work and can take the kids- but it cuts into family time.

I suppose though, there’s no way to figure out how much time it actually cuts, without just giving it a go!

And you’re right, if I decide it isn’t working- there isn’t any huge loss, or inevitable epic catastrophe. Just a little money wasted on it.

Hey...think of all the home school lessons you could create to help the business get off the ground. Lots of connection to math, reading and writing skills, communicating effectively...

Hey...think of all the home school lessons you could create to help the business get off the ground. Lots of connection to math, reading and writing skills, communicating effectively...
:Giggle!: You make a valid connection there! I also have a built in reflector holder in my 9 year old. I can count it towards his art/business credits! LOL

I hadn't really considered it beneficial to my teaching skills, Thank you for pointing that out!

Oh, profitability doesn't happen over night. So you may turn pro today, but you will spend a lot time trying to turn the business into a self-sustaining and reliable source of income on its own and not just side money. That doesn't happen over night and it changes how you lay the foundation of your business. When I started, the business was never side money and I used my 9-5 job as a tool to build my business. In the back of my mind, I wanted to quit my day job so I pushed myself to make sure that I don't slack off. It is so easy to slack off when it's just extra money. By slack off, I mean that you don't build the business with the mentality for it to be self-sustaining in the long run when you have no other sources of income.

Oh, profitability doesn't happen over night. So you may turn pro today, but you will spend a lot time trying to turn the business into a self-sustaining and reliable source of income on its own and not just side money. That doesn't happen over night and it changes how you lay the foundation of your business. When I started, the business was never side money and I used my 9-5 job as a tool to build my business. In the back of my mind, I wanted to quit my day job so I pushed myself to make sure that I don't slack off. It is so easy to slack off when it's just extra money. By slack off, I mean that you don't build the business with the mentality for it to be self-sustaining in the long run when you have no other sources of income.
I wonder how the mentality shifts if all I am seeking is a part time thing, maybe only shooting 2-3 times a month. Possibly more as my time grows. hmmm.....

I wonder how the mentality shifts if all I am seeking is a part time thing, maybe only shooting 2-3 times a month. Possibly more as my time grows. hmmm.....

IMHO, build your business as if someday your family will rely on it as the sole source of income. :) That mentality will push you beyond what you think you're capable of, and all of us are very capable but we just don't realize it yet.

IMHO, build your business as if someday your family will rely on it as the sole source of income. :) That mentality will push you beyond what you think you're capable of, and all of us are very capable but we just don't realize it yet.
I do get that mentality, for sure! But having it as a sole source of income also means full time commitment- and if that is the mentality I have to have to succeed on a smaller scale, then am not sure it is the right choice for me at this phase in life.

I do get that mentality, for sure! But having it as a sole source of income also means full time commitment- and if that is the mentality I have to have to succeed on a smaller scale, then am not sure it is the right choice for me at this phase in life.

Yeah we're all different. That's just my own personal perspective and obviously it may not work for everyone. :)

Yeah we're all different. That's just my own personal perspective and obviously it may not work for everyone. :)
I am a HUGE believer of the saying "Where focus goes, energy flows" And no doubt the energy and mindset you carry is absolutely tied to your amazing work and success as a business!

When the kids are grown, I would love to change my full time focus in that direction. Right now though, its all about finding the balance between following my desires, and raising my kiddos. For now, family life needs to remain the fulcrum.

I am a HUGE believer of the saying "Where focus goes, energy flows" And no doubt the energy and mindset you carry is absolutely tied to your amazing work and success as a business!

When the kids are grown, I would love to change my full time focus in that direction. Right now though, its all about finding the balance between following my desires, and raising my kiddos. For now, family life needs to remain the fulcrum.

Amen to both points. So, when are you doing this? :D

Most reactions

Back