Going to a Sports Game?

RacePhoto

Pete
Reaction score
Website
peteklinger.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I thought this was interesting, since it's the Super Bowl guidelines, but there are many other sporting events that have similar restrictions on lens size. Sports Shooters have had varied results per the arena, but this thread is directed at fans and cameras.

Cameras and Binoculars -- Small cameras and binoculars will be allowed. Camera cases and binocular cases of any size are prohibited. No spectator cameras with lenses over six inches (6") long will be permitted. Again, camcorders will be prohibited.

Electronic devices -- Spectators are strongly urged not to bring electronic devices of any sort into the Stadium. Any electronic device will be thoroughly inspected causing delays of the individual spectator, as well as other patrons. Electronic devices include, but are not limited to, cellular telephones, pagers, miniature televisions and radios, and personal digital assistants (PDA's).

Phones, PDAs and pagers? What's with that?

Anyway the 6" lens is the max. My Canon L zoom is over that. I figure I may have to buy a consumer grade zoom lens, some day, if I want to shoot as a fan in the stands. :confused:

Just about every sporting venue has some sort of restriction...usually it's pretty vague...so that they have a wide range of reasons to disallow you & your gear.

The way I see it...if you are in the stands...why even bother to try to get shots of the action? You probably won't be able to get great shots from the stands...especially if they won't let you take a nice big lens. Plus, bringing your gear, when you are just a spectator...is often more hassle than it's worth. I'd rather bring a pocket sized camera to get photos of you and your friends...and leave the photos of the action to the paid pros on the side lines with their $6000 lenses.

--Phones, PDAs and pagers? What's with that?- -

The same reason they x-ray them at the airport

---Anyway the 6" lens is the max. My Canon L zoom is over that. I figure I may have to buy a consumer grade zoom lens, some day, if I want to shoot as a fan in the stands. :confused:

get a M8 and 135mm lens and sit within the first 10 rolls

While we are on the subject...has anyone seen the Canon commercial where it shows a guy using the Rebel XTi (with what looks like the kit lens)...in the stands shooting a football game? Then it pans over to a bunch of pro photos with large white Canon lenses...

If the pros need a huge, fast, long telephoto lens to get the shot...what is this guy and his kit lens going to get?

I get the point they are making...but come on :roll:

About only what would be right in front of them, I found out late this year that Canon & NFL had a week contest to win a camera package and field pass to each NFL game, next year if I remember I’m going to sign up

Another important thing to remember is that a live event and it distribution is copyrighted. So any photos you take can only be used for reviewing of the event “Far Use” and maybe not even that depending on the size of their lawers.

That's why I love shooting WRC events. No restrictions on what you can bring, no designated seats... well, no seats at all. Just stay out of the restricted areas and you can be as close to the cars as youwant (or dare)

I don't even bother to take photographs of interesting scenes while travelling. There are better shpts to be had on the post cards from the area and at about $0.50, they're bargains.

I reserve my camera for prints other than the usual.

i was going to take my camera to Madison Square Garden for a Knick game but i saw the restrictions on the site, so i only went with a small digital camera. However, when going in, the only security thing they had was with one of those metal detector sticks...they even let innocent looking people like me (lol, a 16 year old) pass by with no look...I could have easily gone in with my camera..

About only what would be right in front of them, I found out late this year that Canon & NFL had a week contest to win a camera package and field pass to each NFL game, next year if I remember I’m going to sign up

I went to a game where they had the Canon photo fan (I don't know who or how they picked him) and the guy won a Digital Rebel. Just someone who was in the stands, taking pictures...

I did take my pocket camera to a football game. The pictures look like it. :lol: What do you want from 34 rows up, and when something happened, everyone stood up in front of me.

If I could get an end zone, 1st or 2nd row seat, it would be worth trying to get some of the action when they were down on the goal line. Anywhere else and it's snapshots. I agree.

I think the 75-300 lens is under the 6" limit and would be a fine choice. I don't think I'd want to take my big white L lens and lug it around. Some of the point and shoots have longer zoom ranges, so why not.

Another important thing to remember is that a live event and it distribution is copyrighted. So any photos you take can only be used for reviewing of the event “Far Use” and maybe not even that depending on the size of their lawers.

Not quite accurate and that would make for a good thread in itself, so I won't hijack this one.

You can take pictures of anything, in a public place, and if they allow cameras, in a private place, then you can take all you want. Fair Use isn't the issue, and you can't use them for many other reasons. Logos and probably uniforms are all copyrighted. However you can use them for editorial purposes which would be news for example. Legally I could sell the photos I took (in a big stretch, if they were good enough) to SPorts Illustrated, the local newspaper, or someone else. But only for editorial purposes.

I can print them and hang them on my wall, but I can't sell them.

I think Big Mike had a link last week to a site that has one chapter of a book, online and it's worth reading. Now if I could remember where I saw it? :lmao: I spent an hour reading the whole thing and came away knowing much more about, how little I know about photography and the law. In part the author pointed out how little most lawyers who don't specialize in copyright law, actually know about photography and the law! :thumbup:

Hmmm, I guess I went too far anyway. Sorry. Maybe we can start another thread. The reason for starting this one was just being amused at the restrictions for fans at the Super Bowl, PDAs and cell phones may be confiscated.

Being an old fart, I've walked into concerts with MD recorders and cameras, without a second glance, while the kids where getting hassled and patted down. Sometimes it's good being a fat old bald guy?

Most reactions

Back