Going to Africa, need lightweight camera equip

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by jj4canoe, Aug 14, 2010.

1. jj4canoe

jj4canoe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello to all and welcome all input,

We will be traveling to Africa soon which will entail much travel on light aircraft (= limited luggage) Certainly can't bring older cameras and multiple lenses so am looking for a mega zoom camera for purchase. Have researched Canon, Panasonic, Nikon, and Fujifilm megazooms and have found mixed reviews. Doubt I will be taking many HD videos, mainly interested in animal shots but those may include action shots. I also live on a lake and take lots of bird pics, both land and aquatic. Need a reliable magazoom camera that has high quality still and high zoom. If I designed a camera it would have...hot shoe, manual incredible zoom as opposed to electronic, adjustable LCD, at least 10-12 megapixels, relatively light weight, RAW as well as JPEG, great in low light, sharp image quality, but most of all dependability and predictability.

Your input is deeply welcomed and appreciated.

JJ

2. Petraio Prime

Petraio Prime TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ...and I want o be King of Persia....

3. Stephen.C

Stephen.C TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why would you even bother spending your time to reply if you were just going to be an ass and not help what so ever? Welcome to the forum, most everyone is not like the guy above.
    On a decent budget I reccomend you getting a Nikon D90 or D5000 and getting the 70-300 zoom lens ( AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED from Nikon )
    Hope this helps.

4. Petraio Prime

Petraio Prime TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What he wants is impossible.

5. iamsneaky13

iamsneaky13 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    it would help if you gave a vague number so that we would know what level of gear to look for for you. anyways look at the sigma 150-500 as a lens for a mega zoom. its not that great for lowlight however it has an image stabilizer which would help for lowlight. http://www.adorama.com/Als/SG150500EOS.html

6. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I were going and was going to take Canon, I would consider a 7D and 3 lenses (sorry, but I don't know Nikon) ...

17-40, 70-200, and 100-400 and bring along a 1.4XTC. You might cut out the 70-200 from this lineup if you really didn't want to carry 3.

If you're starting from scratch, this will be on the pricey side, but not compared to the cost of a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.