Going to be shooting lots of motorcycles, advice?

Vicelord John

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My buddy builds custom choppers and one of them is going in a prominent chopper rag. He asked me to shoot it for the mag and I have about 2-3 months to get myself prepared. The local club I'm part of is going to have me busy shooting lots of bikes and I've shot quite a few before, but wondered what tips you had in terms of backgrounds, must get shots, or anything else you think is pertinent.

Practice isn't any good if im not practicing the right things. Do I want to use a "backdrop" every time or can I shoot out in the open? I've got a grey bike I'm shooting next week. I was thinking lots of green grass rather than brown desert would be best?

i always thought for moving things, take pictures of them moving..

As someone who is completely uninterested in motorcycles ;), I can tell you what would draw me in to take a closer look at the photo:

1. Make sure the motorcycle looks interesting, first of all. Some motorcycles just look boring... Since the photo shoot is for custom-built vehicles, I don't think this should be a problem, hahaha.

2. Have a bold, but non-distracting environment to shoot the photo in. I picture something like a big warehouse or maybe even the shop it was built in (if large enough). I wanted to post a couple examples but they all have scantily-clad women in them.

3. Make sure the motorcycle is perfectly clean and polished, so it will reflect the light nicely and the colors will be bright.

4. If shooting on pavement or asphalt, make sure it is wet. Though I guess this effect really only works in lower-light conditions, like after sunset. Actually, shooting in the desert right after sunset might look pretty cool.

Those are just some ideas I can think of that would draw someone like me into looking at the photo, because I wouldn't give a mediocre photo of a boring motorcycle a second glance. A great photo will be a great photo regardless of the subject. Hope this helps some.

Honestly, I don't like this bike very much, but this kid did a pretty good job shooting and there are tons of tips from some reputable people in there. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4695736 Be sure to read G60driver's response. Good info there his is the twelfth response.

Good luck!

And I say no to backdrops with automobiles MOST of the time.

If you shoot tires close-up, make sure the tires are clean.

Off-camera flash to highlight, backlight, and fill (even outside) can really make a difference.

Good luck!!!!

I think some of the most effective shots that would get me looking twice, are the ones of close up photos. The ones that show the individual characteristics of each individual bike. Im no expert, but just my two cents

The medicine i saw that thread when he posted it. Great pics.

I agree, some closeups would be good, not to hijack your thread but here is one of mine that shows what I mean...
This one shows details, but it also shows what the bike is, you can see the engine, tank badge, pogo seat, rear fender and shifter all features of the old Indians
IMG_0770.jpg

I hope that can help you.

Im onefastboostedjetta most of what i post is bs im keeping top secret.

Most reactions

Back