Going to buy additional lenses soon

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by artoledo, Mar 23, 2009.

1. artoledo

artoledo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am looking at a Nikon AF-S DX 18-200 3.5-5.6G ED IF VR & a NIKON 12-24mm F:4 G AF-S DX. I am trying to capture wonderful pics like some of the ones on here and wanted to make sure I could do that with these lenses. Also, what do you guys think about the 55-200 VR? Thanks in advance. BTW, I have the 18-105 right now.

2. adolan20

adolan20 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well first of all, it's not the lens that makes great pics its the photographer:thumbup:. But a good lens helps! The 18-200 VR is a good choice, great reviews. Look on PBase for some sample pics taken with that particular lens. The 55-200 VR isn't a bad choice either.

3. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    NOOOOOOOO! Never, ever pick the 18-200. Even though Rockwell has an orgasm when he sees a photo taken with it, it is an awful quality lens. The 12-24 is a pretty good choice if you want quality wide. The 18-105 is a quality lens, but I am wondering if you wouldn't want a more functional kit, like the 18-50 F2.8 from Sigma or Tamron, along with the 70-300 VR.

4. artoledo

artoledo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know the basic rule of thumb is to always do research before you buy. Since this is my first camera, I want to make sure i get the best results possible with the lenses I buy. I dont know much about lenses and the primary use of the mm. Could you explain the use of the lense you recommended? For example, what the 18-50 & 70-300 is used for? Thanks and sorry for being such a noob, I know most of you here are probably thinking why did I get into photography. :meh: