Going to college for photog, help choose between these camera

TakenAptly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright so the deal is I'm very interested in photography. I'm starting school in January for my associates and I might also go for some form of art study or journalism; So I'm looking at cameras to purchase.

I stayed up till morning last night, stuck to the computer screen, looking for cameras and reading up on them. This is what I came up with:

Canon Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens

Amazon.com: Used and New: Canon Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens (Black)

Canon Powershot SX10IS 10MP Digital Camera with 20x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

Amazon.com: Canon Powershot SX10IS 10MP Digital Camera with 20x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Camera & Photo

Nikon N65 camera / (or Nikon FM 35mm)

Nikon N65 camera body only professional SLR MINT - eBay (item 170381828655 end time Oct-10-09 22:37:54 PDT)

I'm really intrigued by the use of film and the general understanding that comes from using it. But I also understand there is a lot of extra 'hassle' involved with a film camera. I won't be able to review my pictures right away, etc.. etc.. Which might be something I wouldn't want as I'm first learning photography. Also money might be a factor, I've yet to really do research on how much using a film camera would cost. (If anyone could shed some light on that, it would be much appreciated.)

Anyways, that's what I'm looking at. Additional info: I'm not looking to spend over $400.

Advice or insight on these products or any others would be much appreciated and I'll probably be coming back here quite often now as I'm really picking up the pace on really understanding photography and forums are great for that.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would buy the Canon digital SLR. The Nikon N65 is a Nikon model to avoid. I would also skip the PowerShot digital point and shoot. Film is intriguing, but it is also expensive, and the manipulation of film images requires a darkroom, plus an enlarger, or a film scanner. Every lousy shot you take with film will cost you money. The new paradigm is digital imaging,and every year film grows dimmer in the distance behind us. I liked film, shot a lot of it,and know what it can do. Many film purists get very angry when film is dismissed, but honestly,even my dentist uses a 100% digital X-ray system. Film has disappeared,and along with it so have rental and school darkrooms.

The learning process with digital is easier,and costs significantly less. Experimentation with digital yields the right exposures and shows you the mistakes *immediately*. I would definitely buy a Canon d-slr if I were a beginner and or a photo or art student.

I'd skip over the film as well. So between the two listed, I'd go with the Canon as well.

Of the three listed (which are 3 totally different units, not really comparable).

Canon Digital Rebel XT with EF-S 18-55mm Lens

Do get the film one, or any film SLR at some point however... they are fun to shoot and help you slow down and take more time to compose your shot. You can't pop off 100 shots in 10 minutes with film (OK, I suppose you 'could')... so you want each one to count.

I do recommend going to a store and holding various brands to find one that has a 'feel' you like however. Whether it's Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, whatever.

If you want to go real cheap, but still pretty quality, check out keh.com and look at used bodies. You can get a Nikon D70 for $250 in excellent condition and then some random inexpensive lenses. You can find rebels on there for cheap as well. I would probably start with the D70, 18-70mm and a 50mm f1.8 prime. Then just start collecting better stuff while your going to school.

Just try to stick with one system. Nikon's mid-range and lower end glass tends to be both cheaper and of a little higher quality than Canon's. Canon, however, has less expensive high-end glass, which you will need to purchase later on when you go pro. Canon also has some in-between lenses that are a little less costly, but are in their professional line. These are good for when finally start working, as you won't be able to afford everything you need starting out... the photography business can be pretty rough in those first couple of years. Other camera-makers have plenty of good bodies and lenses, but the reality is that pretty much every pro shoots on either Nikon or Canon.

Oh, and don't bother with a point and shoot. You'll just end up reselling it at a loss in the first month of classes.

The new paradigm is digital imaging,and every year film grows dimmer in the distance behind us. I liked film, shot a lot of it,and know what it can do. Many film purists get very angry when film is dismissed, but honestly,even my dentist uses a 100% digital X-ray system. Film has disappeared,and along with it so have rental and school darkrooms.

You're absolutely correct. I gave up film kicking and screaming but the reality is that film is not readily available nor is processing, especially for a Kodachrome enthusiast. I am slowly getting into appreciating the advantages of digital. It ain't easy for someone with fifty years of film experience but I'm getting there.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Personally, I prefer film and the older film cameras that use them. I shoot digital too, (D70 and D200), but honestly, for a photography school, you should ask the teacher/professor what they require, then come back to the forums to fine tune your requirements. They might want you to use a film camera, maybe even an all manual film camera. They might want you to use digital.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Well, the Rebel is no longer for sale and all else that I can find really isn't in my budget at the moment.

I really like this lense: Amazon.com: Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Is there any camera that will work with that which wouldn't put me too much over $400?

I was looking at this D40: KEH Camera: Nikon Digital - Camera Bodies - D 40X 10.2 MEGAPIXEL BODY ONLY (SD CARD ) DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA

I understand that it would not have the auto focus function.. Is that a HUGE deal? Would it still be an alright setup considering it would only cost around $430?

Is there any way possible that I could get a camera w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens for around 400$?

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You should be able to find a used Rebel XT or Rebel XTi for $300-ish, possibly even including the EF 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM kit lens. The EF 50mm f/1.8 lens costs less than $100, new.

The D40x is a decent 10 megapixel camera. In my opinion, the lack of autofocus with a 50mm 1.8 lens is not that big of a deal--the D40x,an all other AF Nikons, have a green focus confirmation LED "dot" inside the viewfinder, which lights up only when the lens is in focus...and it's a very accurate system. The 50/1.8 also focuses reasonably well by hand--not every lens does.

There is a Flickr group of D40 users who use non-AF capable lenses on their D40 bodies!

The D40x will mount and shoot with basically ANY Nikon-mount lenses made since 1959,with no modification, so it gives the D40,D40x,and D60 models a distinction--they can use pre-Ai lenses with no modifications, meaning older lenses from the F and F2 generation cameras, which are largely unusable on more-modern bodies,are usable on those three bodies. This makes the D40-D60 bodies perfect vehicles for almost anything in F-mount--bellows, slide duplicators, older 55mm Micro-Nikkors, older 105mm f/2.5 lenses,etc. "pre-Ai" Nikkor lenses sell for very little money, since they are not usable except on a handful of bodies until the lenses have been modified. There are a select handful of superb older pre-AI Nikkor lenses worth looking into.

I would have to second the option suggested by someone else, CHECK with the school and see what they want you to start using. It will in the long run save you money and energy. Many photography schools have a progression of equipment that the students use, etc.

then as others have mentioned, start researching options for getting the best buy for you dollar.

I wouldn't even buy a camera until you have started your coarse, over here they use film at the start of your coarse and have cameras you can loan from college pointless buying a camera until you know what they use on the coarse and you will have more idea what you need as the coarse progesses

Going to college for photog, help choose between these camera

Go cheap.... probably film..... with one lens...... probably a 50mm.

By the time your education is finished, you will have a much better understanding of what you want for your style.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back