Going to Europe

b00bE

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to Europe with my school over spring break in about week. I'll be traveling from Marseille, Nice, Florence, Avignon, and finally to Rome. I was hoping someone of you guys who have traveled could give me tips about anything. One of my concerns is packing it. I've heard bad stories about cameras making it through security checks. I also don't know what type of film I should use of my Eos Rebel. I kind of wanted to slide films but I've never really worked with it and don't know if it would be worth it. Any help will greatly appreciated. Ciao!

Security is getting tighter all the time but I've had no problems with my camera gear yet. I can't help wioth film though - all digital here!

No problems with security checks, just don't bring high speed (ISO 3200) film. Bring a bunch of rolls of nice colour slide film (Kodak E100, Fuji Provia 100 etc.) and you'll have some nice results! For the sake of portability, try to economize on lenses and bring the most versatile you have. A bean bag is useful for slow-shutter shots and doesn't take nearly as much room as a tripod.

Dave

Why no high speed film, is that a security thing or a picture quality thing?

high sensitivity film is also more sensitive to x-rays and will get more easily damaged. sometimes it is a tough job convincing airport security that you do not want your films x-rayed :p

oh, and have your camera and lenses in your handluggage... !

Should I also get a new battery even though I rarely used the new one in right now?

Slide film or stick to reg. film?

With slide films you'll have to think about how you're going to view them, if you're going to invest in a projector (if you don't already have one) or if you'll get them scanned or something. Perhaps you should bring a mix of slide and print film and compare the results? Personally I prefer the control of exposure and colour rendition of slide film, as well as the process of projecting them, but it's not to say that there aren't very good print films out there.

Dave

Would it be ok if I packed my camera into my carry on bag? Or will the TSA gustapo tear it apart?
I would pack it into my check-in but I'm so paranoid the airline will lose my bag. I would be devasted if I lost my camera.

Take a couple of zip-lock type bags. Take all your film rols out of their boxes (but not out of the plastic containers) and put them in one of the bags. The other bag should start the trip empty.

When you finish a roll and tak it out ot he camera, put it in the other bag. This way you have a clear control of which rolls are exposed and which are not, it is easier to count how many you have left, avoids losing or misplacing rolls and even helps in security control.

Would it be ok if I packed my camera into my carry on bag? Or will the TSA gustapo tear it apart?

I would pack it into my check-in but I'm so paranoid the airline will lose my bag. I would be devasted if I lost my camera.

never ever do that ... unless you have special expensive boxes like Pelikan cases.

And even then things can get lost.

the only thing I check in is tripods, cable release, sometimes filters ... but never camera and lenses...

If I decide to use slides, can I still make pciture copies? And if I can will they cost more or the same if I used regular film? Will they also be able to scan them on to a CD? Thanks a lot guys for the help!

Most reactions

Back