Going to India -- New Camera & Lens

golfman44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So whats next?

I'm going to India December 10th-Jan 2nd and just got a new camera, a Canon T1i -- picked up the body for $485...this price plus the HDTV shooting had me sold (30fps 720p not too bad!). I also bought a 18-200mm 3.6-5.4f lens to go with it. My mother has offered to loan me her 35-135USM and 70-300USM lenses, however I don't think I'll be needing those (too much weight, too!).

Anyways, I am wondering if there are any tips I can use with my new setup to squeeze more out of it. I have been using my dad's AE1 my whole life, so this is my first DSLR (sweet graduation gift). I have taken three photography courses so I have been able to experience a lot 35mm film shooting has to offer, however I want to push into the digital scene now. I assume I can just throw it on auto and let the modern-day digital SLR do it's work, but what else can I be doing?

Sorry if this is vague, because I know it is, but I am somewhat new to the whole digital age. My camera should arrive here this Friday, so I will have about 6-7 days to tinker around with my camera and get the basic feel of it.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
If you are comfortable shooting in manual mode, that is where you will get your best results with this camera. THere are "semi-auto" modes like aperture priority and shutter priority that do well also. I never use full auto ever. In full auto, many things that you want to control are fully automated such as the focus points, white balance, and ISO. Shift into one of the semiauto modes such as aperture priority and then you can control everything else and the camera just selects the "proper" shutter speed. Congrats on the new camera and the awesome trip to India!

My suggestion is to shoot as much as possible in the week before you leave. You want to be very comfortable with the camera when you're on your trip.

Make sure you have enough memory cards and a spare battery!

Have fun!

My suggestion is to shoot as much as possible in the week before you leave. You want to be very comfortable with the camera when you're on your trip.

Have fun!

I agree with this. The last thing you want to be doing when something priceless is in front of you is trying to remember which button switches you back out of "candlelit dinner" mode.

Have fun!

i agree also! make sure you know what you're doin, and also memory, lots of memory!!!! get alot of memory for your camera!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back