Going to Japan, need some advice

oracle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to Japan next month, staying for 10 days in Tokyo & Kyoto. I have a Nikon D60 with the 18-55mm kit lens and also the 35mm f/1.8 prime. I'm pretty much a complete beginner and was wondering if the 35mm will be a good walkaround lens, I don't have a speedlight and didn't plan on buying one before this trip. I'm not really going to Japan for "sightseeing" persay, and I don't want to have to be swapping lenses so I just wanted some advice on if the 35mm prime would be good capturing shots during my adventures.

I guess what I'm really wondering is which is more beneficial for urban shots, extra focal length or the faster lens.

I think the 35 mm f/1.8 prime is a great choice for urban / candid shots.

a 50mm lens would be good too, it's like looking out of your own eye. :)
lucky you, by the way!

you could pick up a nikon 50mm 1.8 for like $125, so i would add that to your collection. Those two would be perfect for the trip.

you could pick up a nikon 50mm 1.8 for like $125, so i would add that to your collection. Those two would be perfect for the trip.

and I don't want to have to be swapping lenses

:thumbup:

The 35 mm on a d60 is like having a 50 mm on a film SLR. It is the perfect all purpose lens. Use your feet to zoom in and out.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll just take the 35mm and leave the 18-55 at home.

and I don't want to have to be swapping lenses

:thumbup:

The 35 mm on a d60 is like having a 50 mm on a film SLR. It is the perfect all purpose lens. Use your feet to zoom in and out.

A 35mm on a crop sensor gives you a the crop view of a 50mm lens. It still retains the characteristics of a 35mm lens in terms of visual perspective. Less than 50 mm tend to widen the perspective, over 50 mm tend to compress the perspective.

Most reactions

Back