Going to Mexico

neea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
23 days left until I will be lying on a beach and feeling the sand and ocean at my feet :lovey:

I've never been on any holidays outside Canada.. or Alberta for that matter really. It should be very exciting.
You can all expect to see alot of pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everything from snapshots of me and my bestfriend being silly, the sun and the sand and the water, to her wedding pictures (this is where my lensbaby will finally be put to use).

I've never been so excited about anything before. 6 months ago we were going 'man.. is may EVER going to get here' and now we're like 'holy crappers... do we have everything we need. are we ready to go?' yikes.

Sounds like fun, I've been down there a few times and it's been great.

I'm also getting excited...I'm going to southern California in a couple weeks for some R&R.

Which part? Mexico is a big place.

They are not kidding. Don't drink the water or eat at an empty taco stand.

Thanx for all your tips about the water and food.
When I got my hepatitis or whatever shot the nurse gave me an hour lecture about what to do and not do in Mexico. Ranging from 'Don't pet the dogs' 'Don't buy food from street venders. They go pee and have no sinks... plus they touch the dogs'. haha

I would like some tips on how to deal with the locals.
However, we're lucky enough to be going in a group of 20+. My best friend and her family have been going there (sorry. Guayabitos to answer all your questions) every year for like 20 years so they know alot of restaurant and hotel managers. Plus the brides dad and step mom are cuban so they speak spanish.
But I would still like some tips for when we wonder away from the group.
I hear tipping is big. Which is fine because I'm a big tipper anyways.

Are they like other cultures where you get better service if you at least attempt to speak their language?
I know the word for bathroom :) It seems like an important one to know, especially because it'd be embarassing trying to 'sign language' my way through that question, especially in an emergency.

I've been reading about dengue fever lately. That makes me nervous. I'm usually opposed to using DEET but I will make an exception. Dengue fever... nervous system damage... hmm.

I've always found the locals to be pretty friendly...especially in the tourist areas. Sometimes the street or market vendors can be a little aggressive but I think that's part of the fun of Mexico.

Shopping in the Markets etc. is great fun. I suggest that you don't buy anything for the first couple of days. Look around at all the stores and booths...talk to the people, get an idea of what you might like to buy. The prices will be all over the map and just about everything is negotiable...so after a few days you will have a much better idea of what you should pay for certain things. They key is to play the same game with them that they are playing with you.

If something is tagged at $100...offer $20 or $30. They will counter offer and you can go back and forth. With most things, you have the advantage because the shop across the street is selling the same stuff...so you can just walk away. I've had a guy follow me out of his store and down the whole block...lowering his price every 20 feet.

After a few days, I find that I really get into the bargaining state of mind and it's a lot of fun. The trouble is when you come back to Canada and try to bargain with the cashier at Wal-Mart :lol:

Also, if you are in a port where cruise ships stop...don't buy anything on the day when the ship is in. When I was in Mazatlan, it was Thursday. On Thursday, a ship came in and flooded the tourist area with wealthy tourists. The prices at all of the shops and vendors went up 400%.

Thanx for all your tips about the water and food.

Yep, I can confirm that. I don't drink tap water exept on my parent's house, where they have a sofisticated water treatment system.
In your case, I'd recommend only bottled water and be sure they opene them in front of you. The same with soft drinks, just to be on the safe side.

'Don't pet the dogs'
Well, not the street dogs... and there are a lot. If a dog is leashed and clean, it should have no problems, just ask the owner before, just in case.

'Don't buy food from street venders.

Correct.

I hear tipping is big. Which is fine because I'm a big tipper anyways.

Nah. 10% is standard in restaurants around here. $20 pesos for a guy who helped you is also enough (hotel doorman, for example). Some guy in the street who takes a look at your car and stops traffic while you park... 5 pesos will make him happy.

One point came to mind: There are no self service gas stations. Some guy will serve you gas and clean your windshield. He will offer to check the tires and oil, as well. Depends on how much gas you buy, but $10 will be more than the locals give him.

Are they like other cultures where you get better service if you at least attempt to speak their language?

On the contrary. Foreign language = foreign currency and "big" expender (at least bigger than the local tourists). It is often found that foreingers get better service than locals.
If you try to speak the language, you'll get some laughs (well intended) and a lot of help... and some better service because they already consider you their gringo friend ;).

Yep, even though you're canadian, most people will assume you are a gringo (gringa in your case)

I know the word for bathroom :) It seems like an important one to know, especially because it'd be embarassing trying to 'sign language' my way through that question, especially in an emergency.

:lmao:

Any other words you'd like to know?
Gracias = Thank you
Por favor = please
Si = yes
No = no
Cerveza = beer
Soy canadiense! ***** = I'm canadian you *****!

I've been reading about dengue fever lately.

I've heard nothing about it... but I live in the city. I'd take some precaution, though, especially in the beach if there are stagnant bodies of water or river deltas.

I've only been to Mexico once (honeymoon) so I'm no expert, but the best part was driving around in a rented Beetle. But then again, I love them VW bugs!

Enjoy your stay!

pascal

Thanx for all your help!

Gas won't be a problem I don't think. The brides mother is renting a car for all of us to use but I don't intend on going anywhere without her (she's the one thats been there every year for 20+ years and does speak some spanish).

I'm not too sure about drinking things that are made of ice. Like Margaritas and such. This is where I will be fully relying on my experienced friends as to whether or not they'd be ok to drink.

I've been looking at lots of pictures online of the area that we're going and it's so beautiful and so colorful. I just can't wait to start taking pictures.
Reminds me of a master card commericials "Flight $700. Hotel $300. 6000 rolls of film..." :)

It should be awesome!
Tomorrow I'm gonna do a test run of my packing to just see how much space I'll use. I tend to be an over packer (think. a suitcase for a weekend) but I know it will be hot and the use of jeans and such will be minimal. That's one thing I'll have to try to keep in mind.

Thanx again everyone.

Yep, I can confirm that. I don't drink tap water exept on my parent's house, where they have a sofisticated water treatment system.
In your case, I'd recommend only bottled water and be sure they opene them in front of you. The same with soft drinks, just to be on the safe side.

Well, not the street dogs... and there are a lot. If a dog is leashed and clean, it should have no problems, just ask the owner before, just in case.

Correct.

Nah. 10% is standard in restaurants around here. $20 pesos for a guy who helped you is also enough (hotel doorman, for example). Some guy in the street who takes a look at your car and stops traffic while you park... 5 pesos will make him happy.

One point came to mind: There are no self service gas stations. Some guy will serve you gas and clean your windshield. He will offer to check the tires and oil, as well. Depends on how much gas you buy, but $10 will be more than the locals give him.

On the contrary. Foreign language = foreign currency and "big" expender (at least bigger than the local tourists). It is often found that foreingers get better service than locals.
If you try to speak the language, you'll get some laughs (well intended) and a lot of help... and some better service because they already consider you their gringo friend ;).

Yep, even though you're canadian, most people will assume you are a gringo (gringa in your case)

:lmao:

Any other words you'd like to know?
Gracias = Thank you
Por favor = please
Si = yes
No = no
Cerveza = beer
Soy canadiense! ***** = I'm canadian you *****!

I've heard nothing about it... but I live in the city. I'd take some precaution, though, especially in the beach if there are stagnant bodies of water or river deltas.

I always KNEW Mexico and New Jersey were really the same place! Full Service gas, don't drink the water, and no one really speaks English...

I'm only kidding, no offense to anyone from...Mexico. :lol:

Most reactions

Back