Going to NYC

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by JayJay65, May 7, 2007.

1. JayJay65

JayJay65 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Im going to NYC on Saturday, and of course, whats going to be first to visit?

CAMERA SHOPS..

Any ideas?

2. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    B&H

3. JayJay65

JayJay65 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, thats were I wanted to go.. My mom is giving me 120$, is that enough to get anything good, or what? (I have an Olympus FE-190).. I was thinking that that isnt enough to upgrade my camera to a better, but maybe a nice tripod?? I know a camera is needed (better) but no matter what, you always will need a good tripod.. soo.. what do you guys think?

4. MPowerM3

MPowerM3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    BandH is closed on Saturday's, as is most camera stores in NYC. Ask me how I know!!! But trust me, check the website, I hated wasting a trip down there.

5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    B&H is the largest most popular camera/video/audio store in NYC... perhaps the US. NOTE: they are closed on Saturdays but open on Sundays. Short walk from Penn Station. Don't forget to check out the used section up stairs.

Another good place is Adorama. If you are into Leica, the Leica gallary is a nice stop as well as two stores: photovillage.com and tamarkin.com

6. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Whoops. That's correct. I only read the 'Camera Shops in NYC' part. :)

7. MPowerM3

MPowerM3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I need to hit the used section, never knew it was up there, damn it, now I need to go to the city again, good thing the gf lives there.

8. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    Forgot to mention http://www.calumetphoto.com/

I believe they are open on Saturdays... although I"m not sure if thats online/phone only or the show room as well.

9. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    I'm in the used section longer than the time it takes to go through the whole store... my fav spot especially if you are looking for items for a camera collection (although not the cheapest way to obtain collectables).

10. JayJay65

JayJay65 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    uhh, hello? lol.. advice pleaseee

11. TheOtherBob

TheOtherBob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you're in town on a weekday morning, you should probably check out B&H then. I live near there, and Sundays the place seems to be a madhouse.

As far as what to get, remember that whatever you get has to come home with you. So while a tripod is great, remember that it won't be carry-on luggage. You're right that $120 is a little tough for upgrading, especially with the very high NYC sales tax. If you wanted to step up camera-wise, you would probably want to get something with more manual control over shutter speed, aperture, etc. - and I don't know of anything in that price range that offers that. (Anyone else know of anything?)

But maybe a film camera? If I had only $120, and wanted to get something interesting, I'd try out a Holga medium format camera for $23 and some film. This camera is...terrible...but it's terrible in a way that some people find really interesting (and others just think...sucks). It doesn't offer a lot of settings, but it may let you play with new ideas while saving up more money for something better. (But bear in mind that the film and processing can be expensive.)

But that brings me to my real suggestion - I'd just pocket the $120 and wait until you can get a better camera. (Though that's just my opinion.)

12. JayJay65

JayJay65 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks,

Im really considering a tripod, im naturally born shaking a little, noticable, but a little.. So i REALLY need a tripod.. And if its not simple, it'll be hard to use.. I love macro shots, and I take alot of shots from standing straight (im 5'11").. so, yeah, im checking out their site now but im stupid when it comes to tripods