Going to Playa del Carmen

xstephenx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am going on my honeymoon in Playa del Carmen (mainland across from Cozumel). I just got a D40 for the trip. While I am not new to slrs, this is my first dslr. I only have one lens for my film slr so this wouldn't be a question, but I got the d40 with a 18-55 and a 55-200. My question is what lens would you choose to have on the camera on a regular basis while down there? I would imagine that with the 55-200 I would have a better chance at being able to get more shots (wildlife, etc.) and if something required a wider lens it probably wouldn't be moving (like a landscape) so I could change that. Is my reasoning pretty sound on this? I figure if I see a landscape that I want to shoot I could switch to the 18-55, but for walking around I would have the most versatility with the 55-200. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Thanks for any comments.

So I am going on my honeymoon in Playa del Carmen (mainland across from Cozumel). I just got a D40 for the trip. While I am not new to slrs, this is my first dslr. I only have one lens for my film slr so this wouldn't be a question, but I got the d40 with a 18-55 and a 55-200. My question is what lens would you choose to have on the camera on a regular basis while down there? I would imagine that with the 55-200 I would have a better chance at being able to get more shots (wildlife, etc.) and if something required a wider lens it probably wouldn't be moving (like a landscape) so I could change that. Is my reasoning pretty sound on this? I figure if I see a landscape that I want to shoot I could switch to the 18-55, but for walking around I would have the most versatility with the 55-200. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Thanks for any comments.
When I went down to the good 'ol Playa'. I used my Sigma 70mm-300mm, I left that on there for the majority because you see a lot of people out on the ocean doing stuff that's really interesting.

Might I ask where are you staying? If it's out of the city then you're **** out of luck because the city is the best place to get good shots of Ocean/wild life.

So I am going on my honeymoon in Playa del Carmen (mainland across from Cozumel).

How are you going to get there from Cozumel International Airport?

I just got a D40 for the trip. While I am not new to slrs, this is my first dslr. I only have one lens for my film slr so this wouldn't be a question, but I got the d40 with a 18-55 and a 55-200. My question is what lens would you choose to have on the camera on a regular basis while down there?

If you have to choose, I would choose the 18-55, as it is the most allround of the 2. But why would you have to choose? You've got both. So use both! That's what you got 'm for, no?

I would imagine that with the 55-200 I would have a better chance at being able to get more shots (wildlife, etc.)

Don't get your hopes up. With a 55-200 you'll catch a donkey, but real wildlife photography starts at 400mm. Birding at 600mm.

and if something required a wider lens it probably wouldn't be moving (like a landscape) so I could change that. Is my reasoning pretty sound on this? I figure if I see a landscape that I want to shoot I could switch to the 18-55, but for walking around I would have the most versatility with the 55-200. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Thanks for any comments.

The best lens selection in the world is worth a pile of junk when it sits in a dark closet.
Use them all!

I actually think any trips to playa originate from Cancun airport and you find transport from there but there is a ferry that goes across. Personally I think the most widely used lens is going to be your 18-55 but that is always a matter of personal opinion. I think it is easy enough to change your lenses that it really doesn't matter what one you have on regularly. By the way have you ever been to this site http://www.playa.info/index.html it is a really fun forum for people who travel to PDC.

Yeah, we are flying into cancun. But I am planning on bringing both. Thanks for the advice, and JIP I have been looking around on that site.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back