Going to see Nascar and want to try and take pictures. Advice?

Talk to the press/media relations person. See if you can talk your way into credentials. You might catch her/him feeling generous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remind me to post my shots from the Glenn. You'll have tons of access to entire track and can bring any lens you want. This is a real race track... Made for drivers and fans. Not circle track bs.

Last edited:
People might hate my suggestion, but I think it's a valid recommendation. It's a great choice for shooting events like this as a spectator.

Now, you didn't mention if you were shooting with a full frame or crop sensor DSLR.

But I'm going to suggest an all in one super zoom lens. Like the 28-300 VR (full frame lens) or the 18-300 VR or Tamron's new 18-400 VC.

I recently shot a NHRA event and just brought along my 70-200 f/4 VR, but really missed out on the wide angle shots, however I did use my phone for those moments when I coulden't use my telephoto. I suppose I could have brought along my bag and my wide angle and changed them throughout the day. But without walking in with a bag, you don't have to wait around in the security checkpoint where they have to search your bag. You can just show your pass and walk in. Also, it was extremely overcrowded anyways haha.

People might hate my suggestion, but I think it's a valid recommendation. It's a great choice for shooting events like this as a spectator.

Now, you didn't mention if you were shooting with a full frame or crop sensor DSLR.

But I'm going to suggest an all in one super zoom lens. Like the 28-300 VR (full frame lens) or the 18-300 VR or Tamron's new 18-400 VC.

I recently shot a NHRA event and just brought along my 70-200 f/4 VR, but really missed out on the wide angle shots, however I did use my phone for those moments when I coulden't use my telephoto. I suppose I could have brought along my bag and my wide angle and changed them throughout the day. But without walking in with a bag, you don't have to wait around in the security checkpoint where they have to search your bag. You can just show your pass and walk in. Also, it was extremely overcrowded anyways haha.

I've done research in the past with super zoom's and decided to stay away from them. In all honesty, I probably would've been happy with one. I still consider myself a beginner photographer, even though I've owned one for over 10 years.

I've done research in the past with super zoom's and decided to stay away from them. In all honesty, I probably would've been happy with one. I still consider myself a beginner photographer, even though I've owned one for over 10 years.

The 28-300 VR is a really underrated lens. I've seen amazing results with that lens. Like I said, it would be handy in situations like a Nascar race.

My Sigma 18-300 is my go-to lens for motorsports. Very handy to have in places like that.

There will be TONS to see off the track with access to the paddock and partial garage access and it looks like there will be doing a pit lane walk.

I think you'll be disappointed if you don't bring your 18-55mm or alike along.

While I've never done NASCAR there (although I've done the XFINITY series there), you generally have full access to the paddock:

Wet Paddock
by The Braineack, on Flickr

you dont want to miss being able to capture stuff like this before the race:

DSC_0239-6

or meet famous McDreamys as he's suiting up for a race:

5TvENXHo1pSY1oKm7_Ro6QLfZ6ZatxkPyL2ni6Ur9_VouJWk3rTYI-Rxp7We2iJxcuWaHAXwYtWLMYw5aItQErc3pzX9KSYsiykTOYi0YxbD8f6IrVyVUVijdxWpU_3vVxg5ltLR3FWF6QaGbPPU3nKdx8Ethj3MjUiw0BQ8lg3vsTuZwzZA6Yt6B4uaDErApVrExiDB2izJ1TWX--39pwUmmB54rErIqztIzAP93t3CJMOuadXCfEhPUhhTlGnOMwS1ZiGbtUdlnOo2TrXjHt2Q8EjnUf3cKedw99taeeup6zcLYLaM4xrswCBEV2AjCBd9UKb57ZrqYNTtgxoNN7bc8PS0xt0Rz6Gh2urYV83f_jsJJzEqqo7abtD4cpknFuWa52cvSigrY9fHnOnqNSE50S5R3guDDo3Qgl5KkupWmXUocwoR_JrBJ0n6jhNJUZtnzpgc65UNWauAXDNgSvaA7njm0nOtKUE9qkjyokQhbOR-yno4_sRTtYwAHi77Nxp0ri3qD3z6PNy9BLDDwJ-cH7VQzwHndjo-6jnlzsDHPoGXdTiGKqVEBARDNMBcXrWDSapg749zd0Z8qAWqA9T0HQ4ejG65CdmsehfR2OeTsecMXgBc3NPT=w800-h533-no

there is tons of access throughout the entire track, both on the outside and inside of the track.

I suggest the back straight, inner loop, and outer loops to start.

This was taken on the Back Straight:

899x600.webp

I took this on the first Canon Rebel with the 55-250mm back in like 2010.

and while this was taking at the boot, it gives you an idea of how close you can get:

Turner Motorsport No. 97 BMW Z4

that's only 200mm on a FF camera.

Went back to my album, this is the inside of the Boot:

upload_2017-7-22_10-56-16.png

Last edited:
Take a look at this Flickr from a friend of mine: ImidgeryByKMidgett

his panning and unique angles, perspectives are beyond reproach and I try to challenge myself to TRY to do the same.

Most reactions

Back