Going vacation! High much amount for sd card?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going vacation in next couple of months. I will be shooting a lot of pictures, sometimes I don't keep track of my storage space. I worry that I may fill it up quickly. I have 64 gb and 32gb. Would these be enough?

Where are you going and how long will you be there? Will you have your camera with you at all times? Anytime to upload them to a computer?

I'll spend about a week in the tour bus traveling to different places. I probably be shooting like crazy. I hate to bring my laptop, but I guess I have to.

Honestly, I think you'll have plenty of room. But for the 'just in case' scenario, I'd take an extra 8-16gb memory card and an uploader device.

I've gone to florida for a week with a 4gb and a 16gb and had plenty of room left. Mind you the car ride wasn't much of picture worthy scenery but I had my camera most of the week there.

Take along a laptop and a portable hard drive. Problem solved.

Buy more cards, they're cheap. It costs like $8 for a 16GB/30mbs.

If you take 2-3 extra cards it will hardly be noticable on your packing. Cost is also fairly insignificant, as long as you avoid the largest capacity/fastest cards.
Then if you find your usage is ridiculous (lots of high res video perhaps) you should be able to get more cards whilst on holiday, as long as you have a few days warning...
There are so many factors involved that we couldn't come up with a fair estimate of how much space you'll use.
Camera resolution, RAW / Jpeg or both, number of shots/video all effect things drastically.
Even 'shooting like crazy' gives a very wide band for the number of shots some would feel averaging 200/day fits that description yet at some events I've taken well over 2000 in a day. (I think I may have reached 4000).

If you don't take spares, start using your smaller card. If you fill that in under half your holiday & have to switch to the other you MIGHT run out, and could use lower resultion/more compression (or review & delete) if things look awkward.

I'd go buy a bunch of slower cards like the 30 mbps ones.
A SD card, even a bunch of them, are a lot smaller than a laptop.
But, you do have to store them and track them so you don't lose them, versus just uploading into the laptop.

You can probably guestimate how much storage you might use.
Such as .. are you going to take 1 photo per hour when vacationing, or 50 .. just take that number x the file size (RAW vs JPEG L/M/S) x the number of days, etc. then double it just in case. lol

Huge cards means that if a card fails, it takes a lot of pictures with it.
I aim for multiple 16 gb cards. I number them, use them in sequence and when one is close to full, I lock it and store it away somewhere safe.

I have (2) 32 and a few 16s for backups.

Why multiple 16 gb cards? What is wrong having more capacity like about 64 gb card?

Never put all your eggs in one basket.

I've never had a card fail and I've never lost a card.

The problem with shooting like crazy is that you have to ultimately review and edit all those crazy images. This would be a great opportunity to take your shooting like crazy and try shooting with intent. Focus ... pick up a few extra cards ...but focus your vision and shoot less but shoot better. Look for the exceptional image ... shoot for the exceptional image ... don't worry about anything less than exceptional.

Chimp every night and use the delete button liberally.

Most reactions

Back