golden looking portrait syle ?

shadowlands

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, the portraits of people in tall grass, mostly brown looking grass, dead looking grass, fields, etc…
With the “golden” hue, yellowing of everything, and sunlight behind the subject, creating an almost “washed out” glare near or on the model, etc..
And the highlighted hair/backs-side… I see it often. In fact, I know several photographers that do that for almost every client.
80% of their work, is that scenario, over and over.
I honestly don’t like it. I’m not a big fan. Occasionally, if someone wants that, but I don’t want that look/feel for the bulk of my work.
I thought you use to be common for “autumn – fall” images, but now, several people do this all the time, all year.

Am I alone in disliking that style?

I think it's o.k., but I do grow weary of memes becoming trite.

The photographers who do that at every chance may or may not know how to do anything else, but if they can do that one thing well, then more power to them.

I think it's o.k., but I do grow weary of memes becoming trite.

The photographers who do that at every chance may or may not know how to do anything else, but if they can do that one thing well, then more power to them.

Good point. True that.

I think if its done well, with an appropriate subject (women or girls with long hair, Golden Retrievers, etc), then it's nice.

At least it's less of cliché image than the long exposure, fluffy seascape that seems to be compulsory for the cover of every photographic magazine for the last 20 years.

I think if its done well, with an appropriate subject (women or girls with long hair, Golden Retrievers, etc), then it's nice.

At least it's less of cliché image than the long exposure, fluffy seascape that seems to be compulsory for the cover of every photographic magazine for the last 20 years.
this makes sense to me.

I don't dislike it, but I agree it's overdone. I think it's generally an easy scenereo to shoot in, which might be why a lot of photographers do it for client work. I'm sure clients often request it as well. I think as photographers develop their skill and become more experienced, they move on to more creative ideas.

I think men are perfectly appropriate for this sort of setting.

I think men are perfectly appropriate for this sort of setting.
im trying to imagine any setting you couldnt pull off an amazing shot with any subject...shirtless or bundled up...

if the client asks for it, the client gets it.

Most reactions

Back