Gone caving

idcanyon

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm wondering which one you like better and if the second one is too confusing. Do you understand what is happening in the 2nd picture?

These are both shot on ISO 6400 with a NX500 on the cheap 16-50 kit lens with anti-shake, 1/15 sec or slower, no flash.
07167524_1_1.jpg

07167562_2.jpg

These are my 12 and 13 y.o. boys in a cold wet vertical cave in central Idaho. Excellent low light capability in compact mirrorless cameras, combined with new 1000 lumen headlamps, combined with stabilized lenses is revolutionizing cave photography for me. Any kind of reasonable shooting used to require a dedicated caving trip and a crew of very patient people. Now I can get grab shots with no impact on the group speed or nothing more than 10 seconds lost telling someone to hold still and someone to shin their light in a particular way.

Pretty good under pretty tough conditions. I definitely prefer the first image as 'what is happening' is much more immediately clear.

As a fellow caver, I like the 1st one better. He stands out from the background more. Detail on the surrounding rocks is also more noticeable. Might have your subject turn his headlamp off or to a lower setting . I seems to overpower his face. Looks like a pretty cave!

#1 is my pick here because you've captured the climber's face and his pose is very good. Also more of the surroundings are well lighted, filling the frame with interesting shapes and textures.

#2 the climber's face is obscured, and there is not enough of the surroundings being defined by light.

Most reactions

Back