manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, well... going fishing...

I'm going to be going out with a bunch of men (who are far more manly than I am) on a deep sea fishing trip on a 38 foot boat. I have no desire to touch slimy water suckers, so I am instead bringing my camera and going to shoot the occasion.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the trip? (besides obviously tethering my D300 to me via a 3" diameter foam and steel cable) :)

Actually... speaking of that (and in addition to any other comments) is there such a thing as a tether of some kind for the camera that I could clip to my clothing or something?

Your camera strap - it fits nicely around your neck!

I'd make sure that you have someting truly waterproof in which to stow important kit.

Reasonably waterproof is fine for a bit of rain but the amounts of water (and salt water at that) that you can mix with on a boat are a different matter*.

* Notice how I didn't say 'a different kettle of fish' there? Took a lot of will power, I can tell you.

i shoot pictures from the back of my jetski all the time. and thats closer to the water than you are gonna get on a boat. So i wouldnt be worried about the water too much, just pay attention to everything that is going on around you at all times. Just find a dry spot in the boat somewhere. i doubt you will be gettin wet in a 38 foot boat. Make sure your straps are very secure, and i wouldnt let other people walk around on the boat with it, if the slip and fall. they could accidently toss the camera out of the boat!

if you have a wide angle, i would most definatley bring it.

get pictures of some of the fish as they are pulling em up to the boat. i dont know whre you are fishing, but alot of saltwater fish have some very extrordinary colors when they get up to the boat and still underwater... After they are out of the water for a while the color goes away and they just look ugly.
IF you want the standard picture of the fishermen holding up his fish, do it right away. after you get back home all the color will most likely be gone.

Insure your gear. I take my camera on a speed boat when we go wakeboarding, and I don't think twice about it. Mainly because i know if my D200 + 80-200 f/2.8 ends up at the bottom of Pine River I can replace it for $250.

Fully manual film SLR wide angle lens.....If you drop it in the drink all you have to worry about is what the water is going to do to the film and that can be changed....provided you can retrieve the camera.

:thumbup:

:lol: Battou... btw, happy 5000th post.

This is great advice, everyone, thank you! I'll be sure to bring the wide angle. I also just searched around for tethers and noticed that one company's "tether" is really just a dog leash. :lol: I have one of those so I'll use that. :)

Really not sure what I'll come up with, but I'll post my results if any of them are interesting.

Thanks, again!

:lol: Battou... btw, happy 5000th post.

This is great advice, everyone, thank you! I'll be sure to bring the wide angle. I also just searched around for tethers and noticed that one company's "tether" is really just a dog leash. :lol: I have one of those so I'll use that. :)

Really not sure what I'll come up with, but I'll post my results if any of them are interesting.

Thanks, again!

Thanks. I did not even realize I was at 5000.

Last time I went fishin I took my TLb, Granted, it's not quite "Fully" manual but it's manual enough I was not worried to throw it in the takle box. Sadly I was fishing and did not get many pictures, but I was the only one to catch anything out of those of us on the boat. I nearly fell into the drink trying to get a snapshot of the tiny little bugger :lmao:

Most reactions

Back